Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Body Lift

fridayman

Garage
For those that have done this on a 90/95 - why did you do it? And would you do it again? Any good or bad points I should be aware of?

Also, does anyone do a lift less than 40mm? I have a 50mm suspension lift and ideally I would still like to get into car parks.

While the kits are useful, if you know someone with a metal lathe you can create the spacers at say 25mm yourself from round billet and then drill them for the bolts which you can also source yourself?

Gary Stockton said:
While the kits are useful, if you know someone with a metal lathe you can create the spacers at say 25mm yourself from round billet and then drill them for the bolts which you can also source yourself?

Does anyone know what the id and od is for these spacers?

Measure the OD of the current body mounts and go from there? ID needs to be big enough to fit your preferred bolt size I guess - presumably an M10 or M12 bolt is used by Mr T? I'm sure Chris can confirm for the 90.

They're 12mm. But the hole needs to be a little generous as getting the bolts to slide through all that lot can be tricky with one side raised. It's all in the guide that has been published covering every aspect of this pretty common job. The Milner lift kit comes with the all important steering spacer and over all is 40 mm. I wouldn't lift a vehicle any less than this. What would be the point? I wouldn't do more than 50 mm either. Some people have - but I wouldn't. 40mm is just fine.

Chris

I only want enough lift to get the body off the rock slider mounts - 10-15mm should do it. Will I still need the steering spacer with just 15mm body lift?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No, that would be OK but you would have to loosen off the steering column sliders first. Then tighten them back up afterwards. Seems a lot of work for that. What's happened exactly?

Chris

Chris said:
No, that would be OK but you would have to loosen off the steering column sliders first. Then tighten them back up afterwards. Seems a lot of work for that. What's happened exactly?

Chris

The slider mounts sandwich the chassis rail, and bolt together above/below the rail. At the front the body is sitting on the slider brackets. I can hear it thud when I go over certain bumps and sometimes the body will squeak where it is rubbing on the bracket on the other side (WD40'd at the moment). Short term it is not a big deal but I don't really want anything rubbing/knocking against the body.

Am I correct in thinking that there are 8 mounts on the lwb and that the spacers will be the same for all 8?

BTW I can't find the pictorial How To that you mentioned - got a link?

There are 8 but the front two are different. They are smaller.

When I made my 90 sliders I didn't do it that way. I made a large U shaped bracket out of 8mm strap - about 100mm wide that effectively clamped against the chassis rail with through bolts.. But the bolts went through the chassis so it clamped against it. We had a large debate about styles and whether to have a separate floating plate, single bolts, U bolts etc, but I favoured the through bolting method as there were already holes there and there was no way I would crush the chassis box when tightening it up plus it was easy to fit as you didn't need to get above the chassis.

I don't have a link to the guide - I can't remember where it's hosted. Someone else may remember - but I don't think you'll need it for this job really.

I know what you mean about the knocking noises, they drive me crackers. Just fixed on on mine. I just used an angle grinder though!

Chris

fridayman said:
For those that have done this on a 90/95 - why did you do it? And would you do it again? Any good or bad points I should be aware of?

Also, does anyone do a lift less than 40mm? I have a 50mm suspension lift and ideally I would still like to get into car parks.

I did it for getting enough room for 33x12.50" tires. The center of the gravity not change as much as with taller springs and the lift is fully utilized. With lift springs, if you don´t limit the suspension movement with longer bumpstops, there is not more space for the tires, they´ll rub as hard as before at full articulation.

I would do it again, definitely. No bad points, just some which have to take care.

I have installed Milner´s 1.5" kit too for my friends 90 series, it´s pretty much identical job compared to 2" lift.

Here is my old story: http://forum.ih8mud.com/90-series-tech/ ... alled.html

From the pen of Chris, Hope you dont mind. If you do Let me Know I'll Take It Down

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Not at all in fact I shall make it a sticky.

Chris

Back