Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Body Mount Bushes Replacement

Nice post Dervis, I've often looked at my rusty body-mount bolts wondering whether to attack them.

The rubbers on mine don't look too bad, but they are going on 23 years old, just the same...

Nice Job Dervis. Were the bushes installed dry with no type of grease at all?

Nice post Dervis, I've often looked at my rusty body-mount bolts wondering whether to attack them.

The rubbers on mine don't look too bad, but they are going on 23 years old, just the same...

Comparing to New Clive looks wise there are differences as per pictures and also the rubber becomes hard and inefficient like all things. 23 years is not to be taken likely I know but then again depends on how much you care for your driving experience to be smooth. I’m not a hard core off-roader but with pretty bad road conditions here certainly doesn’t help the ride.

Comparing to New Clive looks wise there are differences as per pictures and also the rubber becomes hard and inefficient like all things. 23 years is not to be taken likely I know but then again depends on how much you care for your driving experience to be smooth. I’m not a hard core off-roader but with pretty bad road conditions here certainly doesn’t help the ride.

I’m not particularly after a better ride, but I certainly don’t want the body to shift on the mountings more than Mr T intended.

I’ve got to sort out some rust that established itself close to the very front 2 mountings, so I’m half considering replacing them all as you have, when I finally get around to fixing the rust.

It’s ITP (MOT) for me in May this year, so maybe when the weather warms up a bit.

Guys having driven the vehicle these last few days can certainly tell you the cars feel better to drive. The bushes have made a difference to feel more premium perhaps like new.

As for the engine vibrations still into the cabin upon checking things over and asking around the newer not original toyota engine mounts may be the issue.

It appears this has been a issue before on a pick up truck shared my the garage mechanic.

Next test will be to swap the old ones back and see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for this Dervis. It has been very informative. Was there no near to disconnect anything going back into the cabin prior to lifting the body?

Thanks for this Dervis. It has been very informative. Was there no near to disconnect anything going back into the cabin prior to lifting the body?

No Bert only lifted the body a bit more than the wheels leaving the ground enough to undo the bolts and replace the bushes on top of the chassis. Fairly straightforward job when the bolts come loose easily.

The replacements are Febest and not OEM. Great job otherwise! I am about to do the same on a 100.

The replacements are Febest and not OEM. Great job otherwise! I am about to do the same on a 100.
When you do your 100 will you post some pictures or a vid with all the pro's and con's :thumbup: :icon-biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just
When you do your 100 will you post some pictures or a vid with all the pro's and con's :thumbup: :icon-biggrin:
Justspent two days replacing the two rear bushes on my 23yr old 80 because of a clunking noise when going over potholes in the road etc,nightmare!!!!everything rusted solid,luckily I have a propane heating torch so I could warm bolts up to release everything,then when I got them on and lowered the body back down I couldn't tighten the long retaining bolts up cos they were turningended up having to use a hole cutter to drill through the boot floor (did this before when replacing shocks and springs) so I could get a socket on the bolt to stop it turning!!!all done now,everything seems OK no more clunking .Hope I don't have to do that again for a while

Yes their OEM Mike. All done now also changed the rear shock bottom buses with super pro to finish up the job nicely.

There is less vibration in the cab but also established somehow the vibrations from the engine are still having an affect even though the engine mounts were changed before?

Will have to investigate this more it may be as simple as part of the engine rubbing on the body or chassis?

As a recommendation I would suggest for UK models having all the bolts, nuts & washers as rust would most likely have them seized or worse.

Overall I’m happy with the work & garage. Their speedy with me lending a hand to finish it up within the day.

Nicely done Dervis, mine is in it's 26th year and the body vibrations are not enough to cause concern at the moment. Last year (or was it the year before?) I replaced both engine mounts and the exhaust mount in the search for a vibration that occurred at idle, it helped for sure. I also questioned the 'sound' of the engine speed at idle despite the revolution counter indicating it was as per spec. I went for a slightly faster idle which was about an extra 30 - 40 rpm IIRC and can confirm this definitely helped.

My 80 has always 'driven' nicely so any noises/vibrations are soon noticed, a recent couple I have come across is one under the front passenger seat, a wire running from left to right under the base of the seat was vibrating, and the other one was to the left side of the car, that turned out to be the lid of the ashtray, it rattles ever so slightly but enough to annoy me, the noise stops when the ashtray lid is left open, so I guess the spring under the lid has weakened? Need to look into that.

Again, thank you for the write up on body mount bush replacement, I am sure many will find it helpful.

EDIT: I just remembered a noise/vibration I had many years ago was from one of the rear heater pipes was touching the engine, someone had bypassed the heater due to the usual leaking issue found from rusting pipes, and their modification was touching the rear of the rocker cover IIRC? Something as simple as that can be difficult to find.

regards

Dave

As for the engine vibrations still into the cabin upon checking things over and asking around the newer not original toyota engine mounts may be the issue.

IIRC I replaced mine with OE Toyota that I got with a few other bits and piece from @chapel gate (Mike) awhile back, having been absent from the forum for awhile I wonder if he is still supplying OE parts?

regards

Dave

IIRC I replaced mine with OE Toyota that I got with a few other bits and piece from @chapel gate (Mike) awhile back, having been absent from the forum for awhile I wonder if he is still supplying OE parts?

regards

Dave
Indeed I am dave, very busy at the moment too!
Everyone now has the time to work on there truck...

Back