Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Body rot - welder recommendations for Mid-Sussex please

Milligan

Country Flag
great_britain
Can anyone recommend a good/honest cost effective welder in mid-Sussex way?

Having taken off my running boards I found some holes in the sills - not ideal but no great surprise.
When I took it in to my local mechanic who does MOT's it sounds more extensive and includes the sills, bits of floorpan and the inner wing at the right front. All within 30cm of seat bolts, body mounts etc.

I only bought it recently, MOT had a clean sheet and full service history so I paid attention to checking the chassis on purchase, which has lots of surface rust but is sound and in the process of being cleaned up. I didn't however expect this.

MOT runs out end July. :anguished:

P.s. the forum has been super useful as a research and 'how to' so far so holding hope I can rectify cost effectively.

Last edited:
Hi Milligan,
Rust. A trait of 120s unfortunatly
Sounds like you and I, share the same vehicle. Toyota history, clear mot rap, and similar problems not long after buying, but in a way some self infliction. I nudged a shopping trolley bay with n/s sidestep, when I got home and tried to pull it out, 2 of the 3 brackets came away, metal almost paper thin, didnt bend, it cracked, that looked all ok previously. Poked about on o/side, similar.
Trouble is with these jobs, any price can fluctuate depending what else they find. My work included inner and outer sills,both sides, which involved the bottom of central pillar between doors, and a bit of front and rear wheel arches, non of which apparent until work commenced. All 4 doors had to come off.
If your floor pan needs welding, the carpet will have to come out, and as it's 1 piece, the seats too
Can't help with a welder near you, I took mine to a local body shop, owner and work known to me, who also had an interest in repairing classics, he had the refinishing skills too, perfect job.
Most welders will only do just that, weld !
Hope you find someone similar.

Thanks, yes, I'm aware it might creep so I'm planning on getting a few people to look at it then to take it for the actual MOT and see what they fail it on, then choose one to repair.
Once they get to it I can make a call on repairing the bare minimum, or getting a bit more involved.

I'm afraid to ask you what yours ended up costing as I'm hoping mine doesn't involve exterior paint/finish and that level of strip and assemble. :fearful:

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't help with a welder near you, I took mine to a local body shop, owner and work known to me, who also had an interest in repairing classics, he had the refinishing skills too, perfect job.
Sums up James at J T perfectly .....
Quality job will cost ...he is honest and will give you a very good appraisal of the job and likely issues... and will probably have done the same type of work several times on other 120's

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, spot on Grimbo, do it right and do it once.

Milligan, good plan with mot and estimates, cos thats all they will be, then keep you in the loop as it progresses. Sorry, I can't give you a final cost, as I haven't had the bill yet after several months, a good trustworthy work relationship, and he knows the money is there.
Originally it was £500 - £1000, based on a short ground inspection, then other things arose, which I saw in person or pics throughout..
The only reason mine involved exterior paint, is because, as said, it involved both lower central door pillars/ combined sill T section, a toyota part, and into lower door shuts, where new sills were welded. Had it just been sills he could probably have 'blacked' them the same as underside, and put the plastic sill covers back on + all new clips.
As there was no floor pan welding, he managed to release the carpet at the edges and fold back, and protect the wiring.
All new sill cavities were waxoyled as well. I am expecting the final sum to be at least double, there was a lot of time and labour as well as materials, bought in or fabricated.
No rough edges, no visible welds, and everything inside was covered, and it came back to me washed and valeted.
Good luck with your choice mate.

Thanks all, had a good discussion with JT and will go in next week, no point today as tipping it down.
I'm getting a few other views etc but one thing I'm unclear on is whether sills can be readily sourced to replace as a whole?

Looks like some bits on e-bay but photos are pants and I'm not clear which parts I'd be looking for on Amayama.
Any (more) help appreciated :)

Milligan, when mine was done some months ago, there were no 120 sills in the country from Toyota, except for the T central pillar/sill section. My bodyshop man had them fabricated next door so they could get on with the job. A cheaper and quicker alternative than Toyota.
Enquiries made, confirmed there were different lengths too, probably for 120 lwb/125 swb series.
I would think J.T. would be in a position to do the same, for his own exact requirements.
Grimbo may be able to advise.

understood, my dilemma is needing the right part number to establish whether there are in any in the country, or wider.

Just ask JT if it can be done in house with fabrication, its cheaper for you, and and easier for him to use exactly what he requires as the job progresses,

Back