Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bohunt School. - Ashamed of you

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
My wife and I watched the BBC 2 documentary last night (9.00 pm),.

ARE OUR KIDS TOUGH ENOUGH

It was about 4 or 5 top Chinese teachers, who came to Bohunt school, Hampshire, to do some.Chinese.style teaching.

All I can say, is that whilst sitting next to my Chinese wife, I was totally embarrassed and ashamed the way those children behaved.

Gra

Makes you wonder what it would have been like without a film crew there.

I wish mai teechers hade bean that gud! Maybee eyed have lernt a bit moore!

I'm a secondary school teacher, and I cringe every time I see one of those documentaries about 'life inside a school' two things strike me:

1: It is an impossibility to show real school life in a documentary. The minute a camera enters the equation everything changes.. for better or worse...and not just the kids.

2: There is quite a perception over this side of the lake that Students in England are very disrespectful to their teachers.. this based on 8 colleagues of mine who taught in various parts of England before coming home because, and I quote, they "couldn't handle that every day" I'm not trying to tar everyone with the same brush, but it does seem to be alarmingly common

In 1959 I entered a very strange world. A new school run by Carmelite monks. Every lesson was crammed with information and the discipline was a bit over the top. My friend was caned for dropping a pencil. There was NO bad behaviour at class time in the whole school. An advantage was there was no bullying, the priests were the common enemy. There was no sexual abuse. I keep in contact with a few of the original 22 pupils. Nobody suffered any long term damage.

I had to recover a Bus from a school field a few years ago and had to have the police with us to stop us being attacked while we were working. not good.

Back