Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boost Gauge Setup

CAT

Country Flag
ireland
Hello everyone,
I have a KZJ90 and I am currently doing a few mods.
I have my bigger boots now, Hankook Dynapro AT-M and I've just installed my snorkel yesterday. We are getting there!
I have a boost gauge and I am now looking to install it. I am pretty sure its a mechanical boost gauge, I have my tubing and T piece to tap into whatever section of the engine I need to! Initially I though I was going to place tubing directly into the intake post intercooler. I have a FMIC which I am going to install and always presumed this was going to be the best place to read the boost. What do you guys think? Otherwise it seems there should be some small vacuum tubing somewhere that I can attach my T piece onto and get a boost reading, but I have no idea where that is??!! Any help greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

There is a tube that runs from the turbo to the turbo wastegaste (essentially what operates the turbo wastegate. You can put a T-piece in there and run a tube to your boost gauge.

What about this here, is this the 1kzte boost sensor?
Boostgauge_zpsf4d06896.jpg

Thanks Beau, any chance of getting some diagram to see the tube running to the turbo wastegate? toyo diy seems to have lost its diagrams?

It's on the other side of the engine (to the pic) behind the intake pipe going down to the turbo (take this off to make access easier).

I think this is the pipe your looking for

$%28KGrHqZ,%21p0E63ZpJqUwBPC-3TCWng%7E%7E60_12.JPG

I have a 1KZTE but i doubt theres a great deal of difference in the lay out of a D4D , to get to my actuator i found removing the intercooler altogether and iirc a couple of heat shields was necessary , but i wanted to unbolt my actuator - getting to the pipe might be a bit easier .

Last 2 pages here show my turbo actuator , i disconnected the pipe to give me room . http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...Tuning-Devices/page7?highlight=digital+tuning

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, the pic Shayne has above is the pipe I was talking about.

However I have seen people get boost reading's from the intake side as well however I think it can ready slightly lower values on the intake side than turbo side...It's debatable

Yes, the pic Shayne has above is the pipe I was talking about.

However I have seen people get boost reading's from the intake side as well however I think it can ready slightly lower values on the intake side than turbo side...It's debatable

I suppose after the intercooler there will be a loss of boost through the system. Do you think the picture above shows a boost sensor for the 1kzte? Its on the intake manifold.

I would get a more accurate reading nearere the turbo I suppose. I can weight it up though, thanks for the info lads.

I would say the first pic you posted is a 1kz as there is no intercooler on that engine , i fitted my own cooler and had to move the throttle cable bracket shown in the pic .

Take all the air box pipe off and you might be able to see your actuator .

Last edited:
Shayne - did you replace your intake manifold, or fit a throttle body adapter plate for the intercooler?

The lower intake manifold housing the throttle body is untouched i just removed the upper alloy pipe . On my truck the throttle cable bracket was bolted to the alloy pipe and so with the pipe removed to make room for the cooler i had to find another way to secure the bracket .

Hmm I need to go look at your pics again. I'm about to do mine.

I see you made an adapter. I've actually sourced the matching inlet manifold.

Take the feed from the air intake, after the IC if there is one and as close to the intake manifold as possible. This way you get a reading of the actual boost supplied to the engine after any losses through the IC and pipework etc. JMO

Whole system is pressurized until the wastegate opens so it shouldn't really matter where you take the reading .

It shouldn't but it does. An IC will have a resistance to air flow so there will be a difference between the inlet and outlet pressures.

Thanks for the help so far lads, just another question, I need to hook up the gauges to a power supply that is activated when the ignition is turned. Any ideas as to what is the best option for doing this? Many thanks in advance, Liam.

Thanks for the help so far lads, just another question, I need to hook up the gauges to a power supply that is activated when the ignition is turned. Any ideas as to what is the best option for doing this? Many thanks in advance, Liam.

The cigarette socket / power point is an easy place.

Back