Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boot 12v plug no power

paulnanrod

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi - going away for the weekend and plugged my cool box into the boot 12v plug and it’s not switching on. Is this on its own fuse or is it likely to be something else?

Does your front one work, from memory they are both on the same fuse (and as @Tractionman stated are only on with the ignition on)
1624031465229.jpeg

There is also a tiny little lead fusible link soldered onto the back of the actual 12v outlet.

I believe that the ignition should be on for both 12v outlets (boot and dash) to work

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, the front does work, so if they're on the same fuse, guess there is something else wrong with it. Will get it looked into

Thanks

The cig lighter (the one on the front left) is on its own 10A fuse (fuse 53)

The front and rear power outlets share a 15A fuse (fuse 42)

If both the front & rear power sockets have failed, it could be the fuse or the relay - fuse most likely.

If the front power socket works, that means the fuse and relay must be OK, so its either the wiring to the socket at the back, or the socket itself. In this case, unplug the rear socket and put a voltmeter across the wires to check you get 12V. If you get voltage, the socket must be knackered (might just need a clean, these type of sockets never give great connections), otherwise suspect the wire.

Thanks Karl - I know the cigarette lighter does, as theres a phone charger in it. I’ve not checked the socket under the flap, so will do that now.

Will check the other Bits you’ve mentioned if that one works and rear doesnt

thanks again….

Well done for coming back with conclusion and admitting error.
No shame in that, we've all done daft stuff and made schoolboy errors, - and still do !
Good luck with sourcing new cool box now.

Back