Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Boot Build - rear storage - and bed!

fesuvious

Hello!
I entered into the world of LC ownership in August.

Having browsed various forums it always struck me that many people are obsessed with boot builds - well, it rubbed off on me. I'd never done a 'boot build' before and so figured Id jump in and have a go.

There was no actual purpose, so dont ask me if I am going across morocco any time soon.

What the pictures don't show is that the floor is designed to be level when the rear seats are folded over. There is an inflatable double mattress stored in one of the boxes which runs off the power outlet at the rear. It fits the back perfectly.

I just decided I'd achieve the following : Bed / Shower / Power / Heat - all within the car. Again, no ides why - it was just 'something to do'!

Here goes:
I started with a Land Rover roof rack!

1-1.jpg

Its strange where you draw your inspiration from!
and somehow ended up with the beginning of some framework

2.jpg

Id already decided upon heater, power and tank/pump etc etc at this point....
Trial fitting the Fiamma 70l water tank.....to work out heights and space available

3.jpg

Unfortunately my phone died so this next picture is after a 3 week gap due to flu, and having made a bit of progress inbetween.
The fascia framework is in, as is the eberspacher heater.

4.jpg

I amrunning a 75aH battery from a T-Max split charge system. There is a switch panel built now into the side panel taking a power feed from the battery. This has a switch for the water pump and auxillery power outlet. There are two spare switches at present.

5.jpg

Shurflo 20psi pump is plenty to feed the ecotemp 'combi' style water heater.

6.jpg

working out the water filler
7.jpg

Fiamma water filler installed in rear quarter panel
8.jpg

The eberspacher - you can see the exhaust routing
10.jpg

Plumbed into the fuel tank;
Solihull-20121028-00383.jpg

Solihull-20121028-00385.jpg

and the outlet (exhaust) on the drivers side in the rear quarter panel.
9.jpg

Its about now in the build you start to panic if you are ever going to have your car looking neat ever again!
11.jpg

Its not finished yet - there are designs on an external ladder, also; The ecotemp needs setting up with a gas bottle and the mount for the ecotemp will be on the ladder.

Im also considering designing an awning for the rear.
13.jpg

Anyway, I did say I was crapping myself about how 'neat' it would all end up.

Well, I'm quite happy with it
14.jpg

15.jpg

This is the vehicle:
Interior mods include Subaru front seats, Kenwood sound system and in dash DIN size CB with two aerials (switchable) one for laning (small) and one S5000 for very long range.

Untitled.jpg

I've also fitted a side exit exhaust, and a few other bits'n'bobs. Hope you have enjoyed this!

Last edited:
:clap: Looks a very neat mod Fes, can you show some pics of the front seat mod? the truck also looks as though it's been lifted a bit :think:

Thanks, I will post some more pictures up in the week. The wiper motor failed yesterday at 6am (in the rain) so had to leave her parked at work.
I'll post up some pics of the front seats but you wont see much because this is how I did it...

The standard seats I cut the subframes off - then cut the subaru subframes off - then welded (with some bracketery) the LC frames to the Subaru seat metalwork.
The standard height adjustment from the Subaru seats I lost - but that was ok. It also means I do not currently have heated seats....but, when I can be bothered I think I can rectify that!

Nice looking 80 you have there and that's a novel use of an old roof rack :icon-cool:

Nice work. :clap:

Your 80 looks very smart! :drool: :icon-biggrin:

Amazing, great inspirations there !!

I must admit, it did look very thrown together at the mid-way point, but it has turned out to be a masterpiece, and looks very good.

Gra.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back