Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bought a trailer tent

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Been looking for one of these for a while. Ever since a trip to Skye last year I've fancied something abit less pikey than a caravan but more sturdy than a £20 tent.

Haven't put it up yet but layed everything out and all seems well. Might chance the lino flooring and paint it gray to match the landcruiser.

What it should look like: https://goo.gl/images/4f1NVM

Who else has one? Any tips? Even if it lasts one trip it will be a lot cheaper than renting a lodge/house for a weekend.

I have something similar only slightly modified

image-jpeg.51103.jpg

They only last about twenty years even if you look after them .

Tips ?

Maintenance basically means making the effort to pack it away dry which of course is not always possible so it needs to be opened and aired on the next dry day when you get home . Other than that i can only suggest you use red bottle propane gas because blue bottle butane fails when it gets cold .

Last edited:
Mine has to be older than 20 years judging from the age of the adverts! Think they are one of those things that gets used a few times a year so probably hasn't seen much use. The cover looks ok, anything else can be repaired easily.

Will get some gas and a new pipe and see if the grill is ok.

Are caravan parks/motorhome parks ok with them?

You can still buy them new for 10 or 20 grand and i imagine you will see more than one on most campsites . They aren't as popular as they once were but i think that's more to do with them belonging to an age when people trusted each other .

My advice is don't go o.t.t with it because like as not you will spend your first weekend in it thinking , if that was over there and this was over here and i wonder if i could modify that so i can do this . That's what i did anyway and so sold my Cabanon Venus
after spending just one weekend at Lincomb in it and bought a Pennine Aztec instead .

There not much difference in folded size (i never wanted an awning) but open the Aztec is home from home
, whereas the Venus was pretty much a sleep only set up . https:

The makers forgot what folding campers are all about long ago (convenience) and so they just kept making them bigger and bigger so in my opinion old ones are better and a new canvas for and old trailer tent costs circa £1200 .

The Aztec looks like a nice setup. Mine has the awning like your old one as I wanted an area to be in should it rain, and also for possibly more sleeping bags.

When I opened it up the cover was only tied onto one pole half-arsed with 3 nots. Didn't know it should fold up like yours!

If it needs a cover ill do my best to repair it but should the worst happen will either get rid of it or experiment with building my own.

I can't find a vid of yours and i've only just watched the one i posted for the Aztec which astonishingly might actually be the one i bought !

I fold the beds out open the door step inside extend the poles and put the kettle on because all i do to fold down is drop the poles and lift the canvas over the four corners so nothing is tight . It gets easier every time you do it .

I remember Chas commenting on i think it was the third day of the trailers maiden voyage (to Romania) that it took me and the mrs less than a minute longer to pack up than it did for him to close his hard top pop up roof tent .

https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/my-overland-camper-trailer.141579/

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi, nice trailer tents, we have been through a few variants Camplet, Sankey trailer, Coleman camper but eventually have settled on a OPUS camper, we brought it as a project that was a prototype but it needed an interior and the canvass etc, just about finished and its ready to sue in anger for time this weekend. will let you know how it goes.

IMG_2549.jpg

Finally got it built up, the cover had been removed from the frame when it doesn't need to be, this making the whole situation a ball ache!

Few minor rips on the corners but all water tight. Floor is original and has soaked up some moisture so will replace that with some treated ply.

Impressed with the size, something like 4mx4m.

C3EC486F-9D7D-497F-A2E0-680E9B41C0E4_zpsepahlpff.jpg

E9EF3DD9-9349-469A-98FD-12BAA2A15051_zpsiw3xdhms.jpg

19E328B3-8116-4FA9-8F33-8DE4D9D0C5B7_zpsiya2eiq1.jpg

DE9CA149-B1BA-4B12-B65C-97620BD7ACD9_zpsekrl8fqa.jpg

688D10EA-100C-4B10-AC36-CC10D5DA31AE_zpskbfjvjln.jpg

7F7C7471-60F6-403C-A757-9FBE571872BD_zpssyqgpdrq.jpg

4082FBE0-4BDB-4CE3-A56E-696139C4B6C6_zpsizsst5et.jpg

B460DEC9-1630-44FA-A4F4-B398109E4C26_zps55b6lhji.jpg

776A46EB-F147-461E-B00E-E15B430F2165_zpsyjjuhncg.jpg

Out with the old, in with the new! Chassis got a good brush up and seal, new 18mm sheet of ply varnished and undersealed. Currently searching gumtree for abit of vinyl to go ontop.

Just the back door to attach then we can go camping :)

When are you fitting the 35s Derek?

Nice bit of work there, though. Good looking tent.

Damn, can't help it, those wheels look soooooo tiny :lol:

BTW, what tyres do you have on the 80? I like the look of them...

I had the 35`s on for about a week after I did some work to it and got it mot`ed. But I don't want them wearing down too much so just put the cheap roads on. If I go for an overland trip ill put them on but if its just to a camp site ill use the roads. Its not my soul car either so doesn't see a lot of use anyway.

They are 315/75/16 maxxis mudzillas. 5 of them plus wheels cost the previous owner £1100

Back