Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bought my second 80

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
1995 (GLX?) 24valve manual, 185K miles, pretty clean, chuffed! I just felt my auto was abit restrictive when off road as I couldn't really get into 2nd-3rd gear low box for those tough times.

Already came with a 2" iron man lift, 35x12.5x16 maxxis creepy crawler tyres, iron man snorkel and a custom straight through exhaust.

Weirdly doesn't have ABS? Thought all later models have this, or was maybe removed. Also has cruise control but doesn't work, light comes on tho.

Also feel that the engine isn't as quick as expected, id say the 12valve auto pickes up faster. And 2nd gear syncro is abit stiff! So theres a long list of jobs to be done, hopefully keep yous updated as I go.

559F6FDC-6BB6-4712-9EBC-085A8FC337F9_zpschc3azhh.jpg
24BD8935-E3C2-4142-870B-EFB194B8288A_zps8uzd7ire.jpg
364FD1E2-AA17-4BDE-9622-702CCA8C4C80_zpsebmryntc.jpg
E74C8D66-FC20-49CF-9407-17E99ABC4907_zpswqcd70ai.jpg
778B3FD3-CEDB-442C-AF9B-BE2B8C430CDD_zpssne8npsq.jpg
Green pipe is rear diff breather, need to tidy that up
BBED2942-B4E0-4AE3-91CF-6DED64648598_zps6hllklt0.jpg

That's a nice clean looking wagon. :thumbup: You don't have the problem in the UK of the sun cooking the paint and vinyl but, then again, we don't have salt on the roads in winter in Oz - I think I'd rather have the sun.

That's an interesting place for the exhaust to exit.

The late engine pick up and stiff second gear are normal for your model.

Some say you can tweak the pump but there are no Toyota recommendations. I live with mine and I'm FUSSY. There is no cure for the stiff second gear. Some say put thinner oil in but as with pump I leave mine.

Nice truck Derek, its a GS model, they don't have leather,wood,alloy wheels, sliding rear windows, rear seats, ABS, VC, side steps or air con as standard. Yours has the dealer fitted option ( about £1040) air con fitted which is a bonus. In 95 when they came out they were priced £10K less than the VX but weren't a success and were only sold for 2 years when they were succeeded by the better spec GX.
On the second gear issue, its a design issue which was revised in 97. In the past I've found the issue can be helped by using synthetic gear oil , or substituting gear oil for ATF to help the synchro rings grip better.

Hope this has been of use, I've a same colour GS 95 but pretty standard.

Andy

Thanks for the feed back guys. Thought I heard the guy from te insurance company quite that it was a glx but must be a gs then.

Sounds like quite a low spec model but it does have 3 diff lock which is all I was after. Aircon is there but condenser has been removed and 2 pipes cut so was thinking about removing it and replacing the pump with something more useful. Side steps came in the boot unsure if I'll refit them.

I have recites from overland cruisers for a front axel rebuild and a pump tune up last year, but egr valves are still there so will get rid of them and clean out the intake. Then go for an intercollegiate and possibly bigger turbo.

The 1HD-FT engine had the pump set up for emissions (lean) from the factory. Off-idle pickup and low-midrange can be greatly improved with the 'Off Boost Injection Volume' and the 'Boost Compensator Characteristic Tendancy' pump tweaks to make it more than a match for the 12v versions. They're relatively easy to do and don't alter the max injection volume which can cause issues if not done correctly. JMO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good looking truck there Derek, don't 80's just look the DBs with a lift and some big boots, Love 'em!

The steel rims look like 10" too, same as mine.

COOL :cool:

The 1HD-FT engine had the pump set up for emissions (lean) from the factory. Off-idle pickup and low-midrange can be greatly improved with the 'Off Boost Injection Volume' and the 'Boost Compensator Characteristic Tendancy' pump tweaks to make it more than a match for the 12v versions. They're relatively easy to do and don't alter the max injection volume which can cause issues if not done correctly. JMO

Don't know how much of a tune up it got, labour came to £45 so guessing it never got all that. Ill have a search for some threads.

Before I do anything major to it, ive got to fit a new front axel to the auto and get it ready to sell.

Nice and tidy looking.
Guess the exhaust routes inside the wheel arch to exit there?

Nice looking truck.
I've heard Gls mentioned a few times by people a few times but I've never looked into it. I have a feeling that Gls do exist but for the Oz market. I may be completely wrong though.

Why do you need to fit an axle to the old truck Derek?

Congreatulations Derek on a great purchase ...... Great colour.
These truck looks familiar having seen this before somewhere perhaps from another member.

Like most 80s they need some TLC to bring back th best outta them. Hopefully you enjoy every moment with yours.

That's a nice clean looking wagon. :thumbup: You don't have the problem in the UK of the sun cooking the paint and vinyl but, then again, we don't have salt on the roads in winter in Oz - I think I'd rather have the sun.

That's an interesting place for the exhaust to exit.

The sun is definitely better. After moving here i'm still amazed at the levels of rust that is considered normal. Seeing the chassis pics of the US/AU trucks makes me very jealous these days.

Nice truck you got there mate, just a suggestion waxoyl your ironman springs cos the coating on them lasts about ten minutes in the uk weather.

Nice truck and a real good base - the less toys the better at this age IMHO

I dont like the exhaust exit but it is in a much safer position there - beats being a dangler in the mud :openmouth:

Nice truck Derek, its a GS model, they don't have leather,wood,alloy wheels, sliding rear windows, rear seats, ABS, VC, side steps or air con as standard. Yours has the dealer fitted option ( about £1040) air con fitted which is a bonus. In 95 when they came out they were priced £10K less than the VX but weren't a success and were only sold for 2 years when they were succeeded by the better spec GX.
Andy

^ Love that level of knowledge!

Back