Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Bought One at Last! LC4 2005, 55, FSH, Now Need full Service help?

godzilla

Country Flag
scotland
Hi Guys,

Well after a few years of looking, starting at the 90s vx's. gx's, then deciding its going to be the slightly newer 120.

I manged to track down a 2005, 55 plate, 137k on the clock, 2 owner FSH model in gunmetal grey 3.0TD, LC4 Auto. Last few years normal service as I can't tell how big a service they have had done.

I got all the booklets etc and original bits, but no service receipts.

So I just bought new wipers, and done the MOT on Thursday and passed first time (was due Feb 2017)!

I also bought a timing belt kit (gates) and water pump (blueprint). Last changed 2013, 91k and now 137K. So changing it for peace of mind.

Timing Belt is booked for Thursday 17th - I asked for Full Service to be done plsu more

Where or who does the best Full Service Kit for the 2005 LC4 model. ECP or Roughtrax?

This as far as I got (ECP or Roughtrax)

Engine oil - Toyota original or other?
diff oils - what grade for front and back - RoughT or other
Air filter - Mann filter from ECP or other?
Fuel filter - Mann filter from ECP or other
Coolant - original long life from RoughT or other?
Brake fluid - ECP or RoughT - which ones?
Transfer box oil - Auto fluid - RoughT or ECP and which one?
Cabin filter - ECP Mann or other?

Need help to check where I can buy the lot above or in two places. Is there anything I missed, do I need anything else?

Dont want to spent millions - just good recommended one.

Grateful for advice is filling in the above blank spaces.

Cheers upfront
ps a kind owner has already check the injectors for me and running fine - and no recall on this vin number!
pps how do I stick photos on?

Lol your excitement comes through my computer screen , happy for you mate . Just click the upload a file tab under where you type your post and it will allow you to select from pictures stored in your computer .

Lol your excitement comes through my computer screen , happy for you mate . Just click the upload a file tab under where you type your post and it will allow you to select from pictures stored in your computer .

Cheers Shayne,

It's been a while, never stopped looking. Just glad to find one that the whole family liked.

Drove it back from Glasgow to Wales, 70mph on cruise and got 425miles out if it with half of a quarter tank left!! Well or just above the R. Maybe could of got another 30miles out if it.

Great drive back too.

Will upload pic up shortly, just desperate to get the service parts sorted and ordered.

I also need to reseal it, old one is flaking, what now recommended, grateful for that info too!

My personal view on oil is if its the right grade it probably all came out of the same barrel regardless of label it wears but i'm sure others will disagree . Filters wise i use gen Toyota when traveling to Romania but other than that my local motor factor sells AMC filters same as roughtrax so it depends which is most convenient .

Freedom 4x4 are doing underseal now .

My personal view on oil is if its the right grade it probably all came out of the same barrel regardless of label it wears but i'm sure others will disagree . Filters wise i use gen Toyota when traveling to Romania but other than that my local motor factor sells AMC filters same as roughtrax so it depends which is most convenient .

Freedom 4x4 are doing underseal now .

Few people I know mentioned Mann filters as does my garage. ECP do triple qx 5w30 oil, wondered if that's any good?

I am filling in the blanks above, ideally if I can get everything in one or two place I will just go for that.

Don't want parcels coming all week!

Engine oil - Toyota original or other? Triple QX semi 5w30 from ECP????
Air filter - Mann filter from ECP
Fuel filter - Mann filter from ECP
Cabin filter - ECP Mann filter

Just a couple to fill now

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Engine oil - Toyota original or other? Triple QX semi 5w30 from ECP????
Air filter - Mann filter from ECP
Fuel filter - Mann filter from ECP
Cabin filter - ECP Mann filter

Just a couple to fill now
Hi
I would never use any oil that is not FULL SYNTHETIC for engine,diffs, transfer box or automatic gearbox, for the simple reason that fully syn oils can save the engine if things go wrong like overheating , its like a insurance as fully syn oils hold there grade far longer,take heat far better can last much longer and perform much better than semi hence the price difference. But if you shop around you can buy fully syn oils the same price or even cheaper than semi syn, I buy fully syn engine oil from ASDA when its on special offer I get 5w30 for between £13 and £15 for 5 litres I buy upto 20 litres at a time as I change my engine oil every six months or 3k miles which may seem like overkill but I like to see the engine dip stick look transparent. Also to keep my engine oil clean I disabled the EGR valve, fitted an oil catch can and directed crankcase gas to air via a small filter,Bhp is also up by more than 20 bhp turbo boost is instant and engine runs much smoother to stop engine lightup I fitted a ozbush fuel mapper ,I use original toyota oil filters . I get them from burrows toyota I get 9 filters delivered for about £66 including delivery if you order 10 price is quite a bit higher as it passers the weight barrer. I have a K&N air filter that needs cleaning every 30k miles the rest like diffs auto box transfer box oils I get on EBAY. I use AMC fuel filters from rough trax as they pass Japan standards. I always do maintenance myself as I let the oils on all equipment drain for longer to get all old oil out I also fill oil filter 3 thirds full and let it soak for 5 minutes so to prime oil filter so as not to starve engine of oil. I also check sump strainer during engine oil change.
Kind regards
Antonis

Cheers Tony for the information,

Do you have a link or contact number for those air filters from Burrows Toyota, that seems like a good price for a few years supply?

My car had a K&N filter sticker on it, but there is a blueprint air filter in it now, its a shame, if there was one, its been removed.

Fuel filter, MANN has been mentioned to me by my garage and a couple of chaps, AMC I will look into.

OIL - it seems that semi and fully has both been mentioned, I thought the book states semi and a Jap parts dealer in Glasgow, said he would only recommend semi - due to the age of the car also!

I had planned to drop oil at every service or 6/7K. Just wondering if fully is overkill

The diffs and auto oil, I need some brand names and amount needed as I am totally unsure whats need and what amount!

If you search for your engine in google like so

1KZ-TE oil roughtrax you should find a page that will list fluid volumes and service intervals for everything from steering to brake specific to your truck .

I like semi syth because rightly or wrongly i believe the organic stuff provides beeter lubrication for older engines while the syth ingredient helps condition old seals .

It's all personal choice including brand names , i know many on here take advantages of halfords own engine oil when they offer a deal and Opie oils also who sometimes do offers on the forum .

I guess i might put a little too much faith in roughtrax but having probably spent close to 2 grand on parts from them without ever having an issue i do respect their quality control and so tend to go with their recommendations even if i buy what they sell in Tesco's or somewhere .

Actually i search KZJ90 oil roughtrax to find that page with all the volumes and service intervals

Do you have a link or contact number for those air filters from Burrows Toyota, that seems like a good price for a few years supply?

My car had a K&N filter sticker on it, but there is a blueprint air filter in it now, its a shame, if there was one, its been removed.

Fuel filter, MANN has been mentioned to me by my garage and a couple of chaps, AMC I will look into.

OIL - it seems that semi and fully has both been mentioned, I thought the book states semi and a Jap parts dealer in Glasgow, said he would only recommend semi - due to the age of the car also!

I had planned to drop oil at every service or 6/7K. Just wondering if fully is overkill

The diffs and auto oil, I need some brand names and amount needed as I am totally unsure whats need and what amount!
Hi

Hi I buy them on line, type in burrowstoyotaparts.co.uk then click on landcruiser icon theys parts and accs
but there
phone num is 0114 2858081, semi oil is the minimum oil to be used, MANN are good filters also, all fully syn oils from well known names are all good look on ebay there is a goood choice and good pricers I use 75w90 full syn oil for front diff and transfer box and 75w90 fully syn LSD for rear diff. If your car has had regular service with full syn oil 137k miles is nothing I had a lexus ls400 with 278k miles I always used fully syn oil on it, before I sold it and it ran like a new car and always passed mots, Toyota make really good long life engines but they still need regular service oil changes you can't overkill with fully syn oil your just helping it last longer.
kind regards
Antonis

I only use Toyota genuine filters.
I recentLy saw a post where several filters were cut in half and compared, none were as good as Toyota and some had half the filtration

Simon holton , search for posts on here, parts manager at a Toyota dealer near Wellingborough has very good prices for genuine filters and other parts and free postage normally
I recently got some brake pads and discs with 50-60% discount on normal prices

Cheers guys,

Thanks for the extra info and Simon's details, I will drop him a email to see if he can price up a deal for me.

Rough service pack will be a good guide on price.

Original parts will be a bonus if there is not much in it.

I have tried to stick with all OE Toyota pills and filters on the 120, but just a lower milage than the spec ( eg they say 15k for the 5w30 oil, but I stick with 10k ). Unless you are getting fantastic deals elsewhere, there isn't much in it.

I have tried to stick with all OE Toyota pills and filters on the 120, but just a lower milage than the spec ( eg they say 15k for the 5w30 oil, but I stick with 10k ). Unless you are getting fantastic deals elsewhere, there isn't much in it.

Will be trying my best to stick to original parts, but if there is a saving for good recommended parts, I would just use them instead. ECP is doing 30% off at the moment, was thinking to get the MANN filters (fuel, oil, cabin) off them.

The fluids I am going to be a little more careful with as I have checked the handbook and they all state use original fluids.

Timing belt I have a gates powergrip kit, belt and pulley. Do I need to get a T43226, GATES VIBRATION DAMPER??

Hi Vik

I put a new tensioner (or Vibration Damper) on when I did my belt. My reckoning is it's about 30 quid and lasts 90K miles. If the belt slips it's big bucks.

Rob

Hi Vik

I put a new tensioner (or Vibration Damper) on when I did my belt. My reckoning is it's about 30 quid and lasts 90K miles. If the belt slips it's big bucks.

Rob

Cheers mate,
I will add that on my list as the kit was belt and pulley only and the VD was not included but it does get mentioned on a change with the water pump.

Will be trying my best to stick to original parts, but if there is a saving for good recommended parts, I would just use them instead. ECP is doing 30% off at the moment, was thinking to get the MANN filters (fuel, oil, cabin) off them.

The fluids I am going to be a little more careful with as I have checked the handbook and they all state use original fluids.

Timing belt I have a gates powergrip kit, belt and pulley. Do I need to get a T43226, GATES VIBRATION DAMPER??

I meant literally the oils and filters.. not sure how the phone went from oils to pills. When it comes to other parts, Toyota price them for a £50k truck... like £780 for a pair of front shocks (the tens ones). But just for regular consumables, toyota OE tend to not be too far out on pricing.

Also, I believe the toyota oe belt kit comes with a tensioner and is about £80.

cheers guys, what I am going to do is ring rough trax up to price up the job for me and keep it in one place.

By the time simon comes back to me I will order another set for the next service next year.

I will see how the rough set does. I will also order the diffs, auto and coolant from them and check how many replacement washer are need. one the fluids have been dropped.

Oh will also keep to original as possible.

I guess I got to start somewhere everyone trusts and they know their stuff.

More updates to follow.

Right guys,

I just spoke to Jamie at roughtrax and they quoted me £235 for the lot

Engine oil - x2
diff oils - front and back (lsd)
Air filter - amc kit
Fuel filter - amc kit
Coolant - original long life x2
Brake fluid - comma
Transfer box oil - titan
Cabin filter - amc
Tensioner for timing belt
Cabin Filtyer - AMC
sump washer
prop shaft crease
diff plug and washer

Basically everything I could think off to cover all bases and where necessary a number of bottles and boxes to cover the amounts required after a drain job.

Decided let just do it from these guys to get the ball rolling and as I get more tuned on parts and items needed I can get the next lot from other places as and when I need them.

The above will also keep me going for the next 6K without too many worries.

Cheers guys for all the help.

After the Thursday timing kit and service I will be polishing it,any thoughts on that?

Back