Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake Caliper Piston Rewind

I think it may be aimed at cars where you can't just push the pistons back into the bores. I bought a single fitment tool to do the rear brakes on my Brother's Focus. There's NO way they would just push in!

Another job for my number one handy tool
upload_2017-2-10_21-38-31.jpeg

I just use a G clamp. Or follow Shayne's lead with some WP pliers. Yota brakes don't need winding. You can just stick your fave screwdriver in and lever them off the disc if they're nice and free. No drama.

gees - ok, don't buy new toys then :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There's a name for people like you!

In fairness I have a Laser branded one shirt probably cost more than that set, so that's good value

I think you are missing the point with the above kit, that tool is to wind the piston back into bores where the caliper uses piston to operate the parking brake.
When you replace the pads they have to be screwed in so it will reset the adjustment for the handbrake
As far as I know Cruiusers don't use this system(well not the older ones)

Yep, that’s right. I got one of these kits a while back to do one of my sons Golf rear brakes. Cheap and cheerful, but quite sturdy, it does the job and is handy for non winding pistons too.

Good price bit of kit. I use a pneumatic one (lazy I know)

I love this forum!

Messed with a sticky calliper today, mid storm Doris. G clamp to the rescue!

If I hadn't read this thread is have been stuck.

I'm a brake butcher. I used a wrecking bar and a bit of wood to push my pistons back when replacing my brake shoes.

Got given a little tool once from a friend and used it for years, basically a bit of flat bar with hole drilled and nut welded on think its M12 and a bolt in.
Just use the old pads as a gap filler and push piston in.
I have done some on another brand of vehicle with same tool but had to do some funny things with ignition and parking brake switch to get it to go into maintenance mode before it piston would compress on rear brakes.

I hate with a vengeance those park brakes that use the rear normal brake pads, which usually means a wind back tool to push the pistons in...even worse bloody electric park brakes which need some srt of electronic jiggery pokery to put the brake in service mode.

When i service my brakes i like to exercise the pistons in their bores a few times make sure everything's moving freely, can't do that with those self adjusting calipers.
Daughter's Civics have these self adjusting wind in rear calipers.
Thankfully all 3 of our cars have the superb drum inside disc park brake design, which never give any trouble, if the pistons don't go back in with gentle leverage the caliper's in trouble anyway.

Now have the first EPB equipped car in the family, a mk6 Golf, nice enough car but had they followed my advice that would have been an Auris, in which case i'd have been looking after the brakes on it instead of which i've washed my hands of the dratted thing, so maybe for the best after all.
Blasted thing's already needed new rear pads and discs under 20k miles because (thanks to main dealer non servicing) a sliding pin had seized solid making a right mess of a rear disc, so much for VW approved used.

I take it these new electronic parking brakes are absolutely no use then if you lose brake pressure? We now have a handbrake / cable as a failsafe, but has that all gone now?

I drove I think it was a Vauxhall with an automatic handbrake and it was awful , parked between cars with a foot clearance front and rear and you have to lift the clutch and depress again quickly to release the handbrake . Completely counter intuitive and a stupid idea from anyone's point of view .

Karl, the EPB on VW's operates a pair of electric motors which clamp the pads against the disc, independent of hydraulics.

I recall delivering a C5 Picarseole with EPB as part of a load to one of my regular North Wales drops.
EPB would not release, car stuck in the middle of the truck...PDI centre i was delivering to hadn't a clue what to do as the model was still new.
So executive decision, consult handbook, sure enough there's a winding handle with a sprung wire that looks suspiciously like an IUD, you feel around the transmission tunnel for a rubber bung, insert said IUD through bung and locate it in some keyway, wind for a minute and there's an expensive sound snap, congrats you've just snapped the park brake cable requiring £££ to replace but you can at least move the car, the only issue then is to remember how to leave an automated manual with no P option in gear when you turn the engine off, fantastic...not.

By the way, not having a bloody EPB as long as i live, drove my bosses then Aldi A3, horrible auto box and even more horrible EPB, plus the bloody thing kept switching itself off every time you stopped at a junction, till i eventually found the cancel stop/start button...what a relief to get back in a real Toyota.

Back