Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

brake discs and pads for 90-series

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
front brake pads are down to approx 4-5mm
so thinking about replacing them at some point in near future (after i checks f recommended min pad depth)

what are the recommended disc/pads

any ideas of costs for the Toyota parts? for front pads, discs, rear pads, and discs?

cheers

How about EBC brake discs and EBC Green Stuff 6000 or 7000 series pads?

I did the pads on my 120 a few weeks ago and the Toyota pads came to around £100 for both axles. Worth giving your local Toyo a call.

thanks for recommendations

looked up in manual and 1mm is min thickness for the pads so 4-5mm is means they have about 40% pad left, so should do for now. just got to figure out if there is enough meat on them for pyrenees trip...over 3000km. :whistle:

will also check disc thickness against the specs 20mm min wear, 22mm std from new.

AndyCook said:
thanks for recommendations

looked up in manual and 1mm is min thickness for the pads so 4-5mm is means they have about 40% pad left, so should do for now. just got to figure out if there is enough meat on them for pyrenees trip...over 3000km. :whistle:

will also check disc thickness against the specs 20mm min wear, 22mm std from new.
Hi Andy

A you say the manual says 1mm, but I think thats a bit low,Braking efficiency down, chance of marking the disc, If it was me I would change them (not saying it would ware down that much) but going up and down mountains etc you want good brakes !

And have you heard of these people ?
http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/leading.php

I have never dealt with them, but I have heard good reports.

Hi

well in victor meldrue's best = "I don't believe it"

drove 15mins this and along rough forestry track to meet for my chainsaw assessment exam, and 100m before parking started to hear a scraping noise from offside rear wheel. thought it must be a trapped stone or something.
well passed the assessment!

came home, took back wheel off and pads worn down to nothing... opppsss

otherside has about a few mm left, so must have had a dragging brake.
i only checked them in the summer and they werent bad then...

time for new ones then, will get new discs and pads all round.
as backs need it!
and as Steve says i will need good brakes in the mountains...

i have ordered from brakeparts int before, and got brakes there for subaru.
had thought of getting original toyota parts, reckon will be over £400 all in.

need delivered before thursday, so that i can fit them and have vehicle ready for heading to lakes on friday.

priced out brake parts internetation parts = £177 before postage.
there brakes have been fine on subaru, last setup lasted over 60k miles.
had a problem with first discs they sent, i got brake pulsing after 1000miles, as it didnt clean up hub enough, and check disc runout. they sent replacements FOC (after i sent old ones back)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ordered EBC stuff in the end, cost about £100 more than brakepartsint, but hopefully better quality
and deliver in time...

AndyCook said:
well passed the assessment!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I should take mine - I've been felling monster trees for 25 years without problems and have 4 chainsaws :roll:

Bob.

the assessment was an informal formality. we were safe and knew how to strip down and service the saws and identify worn out parts etc
but some of the assessors stories he had of people wielding a chainsaw dangerously were staggering.

what saws have you got?

AndyCook said:
what saws have you got?

A very old McCulloch Promac 610 with a 20" bar - my favourite saw. It doesn't scream and will just growl away all day. Its now in bits as the cases are so worn the bolts keep falling out. I'll be looking to re-build it soon. Its done a ton of work over the years.

A more recent Solo 662 with a 24" bar. I don't like it much as it screams and blunts the chains very quickly. I have reduced the depth stops on the chain to give it more bite. It works well enough, its just a bit manic. I keep my Oregon 12v electric sharpener and a Motorcycle battery handy :thumbup:

Last autumn I treated myself to a Stihl MS 181 with a 12" bar. Its a great little saw for logging and pruning. I'm thinking of getting a bigger Stihl to replace the McCulloch, but they don't seem to come in the large sizes. I keep looking at a 181cc Husqvarna with a 48" bar and thinking "That would have made felling 80ft trees so much easier" :lol:

In an effort to keep the noise down when logging behind the outbuildings I bought a 2.2Kw McCulloch electric saw with an 18" bar - pi$$ useless thing, the plastic drive gear strips after about 20 minutes use. I'm now on my third at £28 each so don't use this saw much.

I can imagine the Assessors will have a good fund of stories. Fortunately I take things very carefully and researched the subject thoroughly before diving in. I've done some 'interesting' things but have never had a problem or an injury.

Bob.

Back