Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake discs

Mark01

Country Flag
england
Hi all, I've changed the hand brake shoes and disc pads to find in need new discs for the rear of my truck. Anyone have any advise which discs to go for?
I have also found what the rattle was on the near side rear. The rubber boots that the sliding pins go in are missing on the caliper so will these be got from toyota only? I don't mind going genuine for the discs if that's what keeps it all good, just wanting to see if anyone can suggest anything better for the money.

Cheers, Mark

Milner ones have never given me a problem. But this time I went with the Aussie slotted ones from Roughtrax. Velly nice.

You can get the slider boots from Big Redd. But Simon does a good price on genuine ones too. All posted recently. Can't recall which thread though.

Read from post #47 on.
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/foru...lton-Gen-Toyota-Parts/page3?highlight=sliding

Seems there are two options, buy OEM 90 series rubber boots from Simon (only available as part of a full rebuild kit for 80 but same part :wtf:) or Big Red.

Obviously, keep copper anti seize and the like away from them, only user rubber friendly brake grease.
I made the mistake of having my brakes serviced by local Toyo garage when first bought the Cruiser and yes, they used copper grease. Couple of years later and they were screwed.:violence-axechase:

Dave.

Yup i would second Chris on the milner ones, just fitted Discs and pads on front and discs, callipers and pads on rear. It now stops! Decent prices and in stock too!

Thanks for the tips guys. Chris, out of interest how did you find out about thediscs you bought from roughtrax as. I can only see online their budget or genuine one advertised.

Cheers, Mark

Well actually Mark I was just browsing their site like I do with many and saw them . Now IIRC they did say they only had a couple of sets left
Maybe they've all gone
Nice kit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris had the last rears and I had the last fronts. They said they would be getting more in.

So how long to Toyota discs last if just on the road? Mine are original to the car and have done 140,000 ish.

I suppose there are many factors as to how long they will last, the ones on A1ALL were original when I sold it and were still in very good condition with 150K on them, the ones on the GS were nowhere as good with 83K on the clock but had lives at Morecombe for its first 5 years then on a farm in Lincs so I guess there are no hard and fast rules. I think the min thikness on front discs is 19 mm, they start at about 30 mm.

Andy

I can't find anything in the history folder to say when they were last changed, the truck is up on 320,000 now so I don't think for a moment they are original.
Shame about roughtrax not having anyof those left they do look very nice.
As I use the truck daily I like to try and change parts with something that should last a little while.

What's the advantage of slotted discs on a Landcruiser. I thought that was for heat dissipation not sieving dirt :icon-biggrin:.

I think the min thikness on front discs is 19 mm, they start at about 30 mm.

The larger 311mm 80 discs start at 32mm and the minimum thickness is 30mm. The small discs that start at 20mm thick can be used down to 19mm.

Back