Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake hoses.......

Towpack

Garage
Country Flag
england
Anyone fitted the braided hoses from Roughtrax and if so, did they fit without any issues, ie wrong thread size/type etc?

Braided Hoses

Yes. Massive improvement. Only thing I found back then was that the 'nut' that is supposed to sit inside the little support bracket - where the sliding clip goes in - wasn't the same shape / size.

I have always had mine made up at Carlton Hydraulics in Rotherham, don't know if there is a difference in price but I suppose there's the faff of going there.

Thanks guys. I have a sticking caliper on the back which I've freed off before but they really require a complete strip and overhaul. The dust cover plates have also just about had it so I've decided to just fit a couple of new calipers, change the ageing hoses and do a fluid change at the same time.

i had to file the bit where the hose slots in as it was the wrong size

Do you mean the union holder mounted on the axle? I can cope with that, it was just the threaded bits I was wondering about. Just ordered a set today along with some new banjo bolts + washers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like I said TP only the bit that fits through the bracket where the clip is.

What he said. Somehow I missed your reply Chris.

All the pipe unions look in pretty good shape but I might invest in a pipe flaring tool just in case of any disasters. Had one for years but lent it out and never saw it again.

I spoke with roughtrax a few years ago on the stainless steel brake hoses for a 80 series,

I was told they were china manufactured so its a no no for me.
I required a full set for a car with abs ,i think it requires 7 hoses in total.
I bought a hel stainless kit, great quality and correct lenghts , all screwed together ok but they were not an exact fit when it came to fitting to toyota hose clamps and spring clips,
A very easy job was made a real pain.
But with new discs,semi ceramic pads and dot 5.1 fluid the difference in braking is remarkable

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would one need braided hoses?
They are supposed to expand less under pressure, we used to fit them on mountain bikes.
Was never sure if they made much difference to braking, but there certainly a lot tougher.

Mine made a huge difference. But then swapping 20 year old rubber for new plain rubber might have made the same difference. I fitted braided and the change was noticeable immediately. It wasn't just that the brakes functioned better, there was a difference in the pedal too. Much less movement. If it's time for new hoses then try braided. I can guarantee they won't be worse! Mine have been on for several years now and are perfectly fine still.

If we're going to avoid anything made in China then I'd suggest we all dig a hole, get in and let someone cover us over.

I've fitted braided lines on bikes in the past as a performance upgrade and noticed the difference immediately. In my case the original hoses on the 80 are showing their age. Brakes are working OK, apart from the sticky rear calliper but there's a very slight bulge on one of the front hoses, not immediately obvious but there on closer inspection, you can feel it more than see it. Changing them while fitting new callipers just makes sense anyway. It's easy to condemn anything made in China but they can and do make quality stuff. I had a rigid floored inflatable a few years ago made in China by Seapro. Everything about the thing spoke quality, really well made and virtually identical to a Zodiac at less than half the price.

I can understand they can make the pedal firmer but I feel OK with pedal my rubber ones. If I were to change mine I'd send them to a UK manufacturer as patterns but that would entail loss of use of the car for some time.

Braided essential on a racing car where component failure may rub through a rubber one.

Made in China can be good stuff. A lot of NHS stuff is made there. It's down to who you can trust and communicate with.

We have a brake company in Leicester who will make a set same day if you give him your one's as patterns

Goodridge was a name synonymous with braided lines years ago. I had some made up for Fireblade in the mid 90's by a Co. in the Midlands somewhere and I can't for the life of me remember their name. You just told them the bike model and wether you wanted standard or +/- 1", 2" etc and you had them inside a week.

I can confirm that when you load your car up and hitch up a large caravan or trailer your standard brake set up will let you down very quickly.

I ve had a total car and trailer load close to 6 tons and this is when your brakes are put to the test.
I ve experienced brake fade twice not under heavy braking conditions ,both times with a 2.3 ton caravan in tow,,
Its not a pleasant experience .
The hel braided kit i fitted along with new discs and semi ceramic front pads has transformed the braking feel and ability of my cruiser and it does not cost a fortune.
But it can save you an absolute fortune.
If you are planning a trip in the mountains or carry and or tow heavy loads this upgrade is a must..

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I had brake fade coming down a long route down the Pyrenees, no trailer just a fast descent. Probably driver error as I should have used a lower gear but that would have meant too lower speed for me.

Back