Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake Issue...

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hey Guys,

I think my cruiser is sulking because I haven't been out playing for so long.

The brakes seem to have died this morning. I had to winch a vehicle up a car park ramp on site this morning, long story, to get it out of the car park. I had one of my guys in the cruiser keeping the revs up and his foot on the brakes to stop the cruiser from pulling forward. All was fine. Went to park it afterwards and now I can push the pedal all the way back to the firewall and it feels very mushy. The brakes do slow me down but are not particularly effective anymore. I checked the brake fluid resi and its still full, also checked the calipers and there is no sign of any brake fluid leaking out. Note I did rebuild all the calipers with new seals a few months ago, I have replaced the factory rubber brake hoses with stainless steel braided hoses. The braking has been great since the service.

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue could be. I was thinking maybe the booster is on its way out but then I figured the pedal should be really hard to push, not all floppy like it is now.

Any ideas guys?

Ryan

Sounds like you have popped a seal in the master cylinder. If everyting else looks ok it has to be that.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Ok so I have had a better look. Limped the truck home and found the reservoir to be empty.

Also found the front left brake flexible line to have burst. The brake fluid was spraying out onto the road so it wasn't immediately apparent that a line had ruptured.

I'm a both shocked about this as I am running braided stainless steel lines from Llama 4x4.

bepe8u5y.jpg

Llama gave good customer service when I bought the hoses so I'll see what they have to about this.

Maybe OEM really is the best way to go...

I also had a braided one let go, .......in the middle of Tunis during rush hour!

all oem now, learnt my lesson!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
At least its a cheaper fix than a master cylinder, good excuse for fresh fluid.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

So I got in touch with Dave from Llama 4x4. His service was excellent as always. After a few email exchanges and a few photo's to try and work out why the hose broke it turns out that I originally installed the front hoses on the rear and the rear hoses on the front. The hoses meant for the front have 90' fittings and are marginally longer than the hoses meant for the rear which have 45' fittings. At full lock I have been essentially overextending the front hoses.

Dave nonetheless sent me out a set of replacement hoses for the from free of charge and the truck is no back on the road.

:auto-layrubber:

If you're lifted, it's a good idea to bring the rear axle supply pipe to the centre of the axle, then there won't be a over extension on the flexi pipe during extreme flexing of the rear suspension.

You seem to have resolved the issue on the front flexi pipes. You were lucky it didn't let go at an inopportune moment :pray:

Back