Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake master cylinder or brake booster?

quintenp

Country Flag
netherlands
I have had a problem with my brakes already for some time. The garage in the Eastern part of Russia (where I live) has diagnosed it as a brake master cylinder failure and said it needed to be replaced. However, I was not entirely convinced with their diagnose as it took some tries to have them look at it and finally after a test run they said to change the brake master cylinder. Now, as these are quite expensive parts, I would like to ask if anybody can tell me if I should change the brake master cylinder (USD900), brake booster (USD800) or the both of them (USD1600). Symptoms:
  • when I start the car in the morning, the brake pedal goes down and comes back up; but there are other times where it doesn't do that (pedal stays where it is);
  • after releasing the brakes it feels like the pads stick to the discs for a second;
  • sometimes when applying the brakes there is a hiss and sometimes not;
  • there is sufficient braking power and never have the feeling that there is any loss;
  • visual inspection doesn't show any fluid leakage on the unit or under the car;
  • brake pedal very slowly sinks when having a foot on the pedal and applying lot of force but not always (sometimes it feels quite hard
As I have no possibility to get a second opinion I need to order the part and have it replaced. Can anybody tell me what to do?

I am no expert but my gut feeling is that this is probably a vacuum or booster issue. Master cylinders leak internally so it would send all breaking pressure to lowest pressure circuit which is usually the rear and cook your brakes.

Back