Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake Pipe / Line Specs & any potential upgrades??

Bodie

Country Flag
great_britain
'Sprung a Leak'......
So intending to change all the brake pipes on the truck, so had a quick search here, found various brake pipe threads, but couldn't find quite what I was looking for, although It's probably just me do a 'bloke look'!
When I look ont' Tinternet, I keep reading conflicting info.
Some say double flare, some bubble, some metric, some imperial etc. etc...
I think.... it should be double flare and probably metric 4.75mm, but would appreciate if someone can just clarify for me. I'm also sticking with copper nickel pipe????.... had considered SS, but it'll be a bugger to bend and flare!
Cheers
Bodie

Just thought.... if anyone has actually upgraded the spec, I'd be interested to know. Cheers.

Only time we've used it was on @Beijing Ballie s 120 last year. Was a fun learning experience, you have to flare it out then squoosh it back in.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Nick..... that's interesting, so 3/16 which I think is the equivalent to 4.75mm?? I just wondering whether metric/imperial is really going to make that much of a difference anyway??

I can't remember where I found the numbers, but I bought it for spares after losing a brake pipe in Romania. @clivehorridge fixed it easily once he managed to get hold of the bits, hence now there's always some in the back of the truck.
Going down hairpin bends only having the shitty autobox to stop you going straight down the mountain is not an enjoyable experience!!!

Only time we've used it was on @Beijing Ballie s 120 last year. Was a fun learning experience, you have to flare it out then squoosh it back in.

You're right, it's actually not a difficult job, did loads years ago and it's actually one of those jobs worth doing yourself, because although not difficult, it's time consuming, so can be quite expensive at a garage!

Having never done it before I was learning from him, but he'd never used the flaring tool I have so he was learning too! Either way I believe he got home safely :)

I know I've got the broken brake line in my tub of spares so that you can see the flaring on it when making a new one.

Going down hairpin bends only having the shitty autobox to stop you going straight down the mountain is not an enjoyable experience!!!

Actually, I seem to be having a similar experience, even in my manual!!
Sort've thinking it's because I'm on 35's, but also in the back of my mind, worrying whether it could be a compression issue!!! Especially as all of the LR 110s I've had for work trucks, seemed to be much better on engine braking!

Just had a look to see if I had any piccys, this is all I could find.
20210807_154642.jpg

Every day's a school day :)

I've only had the pleasure of driving a manual 80 once, trundling down a hill in Slovenia while rosy attempted to film it from his drone. It was amazing, didn't have to touch the brakes until I needed to stop..the engine braking was wonderful.

Brake pipe in the spares box list has just been added!!

My first adventure after buying the 80, I spent the week driving a Volvo around Scotland waiting for the garage on Skye to get the wheel bearings I needed for the 80. Ever since I keep all sorts in the back. I may not know how to fix things but there's usually someone around who can. But I'm stuffed if there's nothing to fix it with! (Wheel bearings were the first spares I bought plus a tub of grease:)

At least I now know i got the right stuff, cheers Andy :)

But I'm used to an auto not doing too much on downhills

Back