Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake warning light (handbrake warning light)

AdventureWagon

Supporter
Country Flag
australia
Hi guys,

A few times now I have noticed the handbrake warning light coming on especially going round left corners. I have checked and the brake fluid reservoir is full, plus the handbrake is being put fully off when I set off.

I'm confident there's no brake fluid leak - the pedal feel is the same as it always is and there's no gradual droop of the pedal when I have it stopped at lights etc.

Has anyone ever had issues with the brake reservoir low fluid sensor or the handbrake switch?

This is a non-ABS car and it's petrol so has a 80s style traditional brake booster driven off the manifold vacuum.

Cheers!

Does your truck have brake pad warning sensors fitted?

I don’t know if your model does (or indeed if any cruiser does as I only really know the 80s), but if it does there will be a little wire going to a brake pad on each side.

Unlikely on a truck with no abs and a handbrake almost identical to the 80 .

I'd jack it up to see if the wheels spin freely by hand and if so decide its an electrical problem .

Rear bumper lights are always worth a look on the 90 series for any electrical problem at all but there is a switch thing somewhere above the pedal I believe .

Good idea, hopefully I'll get my UBJ boots done then and I can check. I might also try removing and if necessary shorting the fluid level sensor to see if it's that or the handbrake switch.

Handbrake switch (at lever) sounds likely, can get a bit fluffy, good place to start.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Try adding a little more fluid to the reservoir. I had a similar problem (occasional brake warning light) and it cured it, even though it looked as if the level was fine. I only added a small amount. Cheap and easy to rule out.

Been trying to remember why i bought a handbrake switch that i never used , it was the rear bumper lights which were near new but cheap copies . Never did work out how or why they caused it before binning them ?

Could be that the front brake pads are worn as it needs more brake fluid to fill the place as the pistons go further out.

Possibly?

Hi guys,

A few times now I have noticed the handbrake warning light coming on especially going round left corners. I have checked and the brake fluid reservoir is full, plus the handbrake is being put fully off when I set off.

I'm confident there's no brake fluid leak - the pedal feel is the same as it always is and there's no gradual droop of the pedal when I have it stopped at lights etc.

Has anyone ever had issues with the brake reservoir low fluid sensor or the handbrake switch?

This is a non-ABS car and it's petrol so has a 80s style traditional brake booster driven off the manifold vacuum.

Cheers!
you say the reservoir is full, so this probable doesnt apply.
when both my front and rear pads are low, going up a steep hill my warning light will come on.

Some great things to check on thanks guys I'll take a look and let you all know.

I'm having the same issue - mainly when hill climbing. I guess I need to check the fluid level.

I actually rechecked mine just now and it's between high and low, so OK but I guess the centrifugal force of hilly left corners forces the fluid away from the sensor for a short time. Think the suggestion from @diggerdave might work so will pick up some DOT 3 next time I go past the auto parts store.

Just a follow-up - I added some new DOT3 to the max line and the last couple of days have gone round the usual corners that made the light come on and all fixed now so I am guessing that this was the cause. Thanks for the advice guys.

Back