Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brake warning light has come on

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Not had this one before. Experience appreciated.

Obviously to the lift I had to lengthen the brake hoses. That meant draining the brake lines. All went as usual. I must have done this more times than than well I don't know what. Filled and bled, decent pressure even without engine running, but when I started it up the brake warning light won't go off. This is the circle with the ! in the middle. Handbook says either low fluid - err nope of defective vacuum booster. We did run the truck momentarily with no fluid in to turn the wheels at one point. Now the brakes feel pretty good out on the road truth be told. So wondering if the light needs resetting or something.

Anyone had this before? It's a virtually new Toyota master cyl to so it's not the seals in there or anything like that. Nothing to do with ABS either. Obviously I have upset something in the system. Yes the cap is back on the reservoir.

Chris

May sound stupid but have you tried disconnecting the batteries to try resetting the light and then see if it returns?

EDIT - having a poke around on IH8MUD it would seem that if the cap was loose on the brake fluid bottle that can cause the light to come on. It has also been mentioned that if the brake fluid is too high it can also trigger the light to come on. It would seem that the light can only be triggered by the sensor to indicate low brake fluid, easily inspected by un plugging it and see if the light goes off as they are defective and would seem a number of members have had to replace them but that would be a very unlucky coincidence. Otherwise it’s the hand brake which is giving you the problem.

Sorry more to add:

the brake warning light will also come on is there is a difference in the brake pressure between the two independent brake circuits?? not sure if this applies to you but it would seem different years have different braking systems

Nothing to do with the handbrake. That's mechanical and a different warning light Warren. It's either fluid level or the vacuum booster. That's what the handbook says. Well it's not low level.

I will try the old battery trick as it works for so many things. I just ran out of time and my curry had arrived. It might be that having the engine running with no fluid has tripped the light. Resetting it would be the key. As I said, the brakes are physically working fine. And the booster hasn't been touched in any way.

Chris

Sorted. Unplug wire from reservoir on MC then ign on and plug back in. Start engine - gone.

C

Thought it had come back onto day so spent 10 mins faffing around with it until I realised that this WAS the handbrake light. Doh. As it's auto and I have a flat drive I rarely put the HB on :roll:

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:lol: Do you think we actually put the handbrake on in manuals? The low box comes in handy on steep hills :shhh:

TBH Rob, didn't know you got a hand brake in the manual. Well you learn something every day :thumbup:

Chris

Back