Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Brakes and Bushes

guyc

Country Flag
great_britain
Brakes

With hindsight I should probably have researched the forum beforehand.

I changed the seal on one of the rear pistons and I changed the front pads. I then used a vacuum bleeder to bleed the brakes and with the car turned off the brake pedal is solid. When I start the car, there is almost no resistance to the pedal going to the floor. If I pump the brakes, I can get some resistance but I can always push the pedal to the floor.

I've bled the master cylinder following the guidance in RM184, the load sensing valve and all four calipers so I'm happy there isn't air in the system

I suspect that I've damaged the seals in the master cylinder as I pushed the piston out using the brake pedal which I pressed all the way to the floor a few times.

Would you agree?

DSC_1354.JPG

Bushes

One of my MOT failures was play in the lower shock bushes at the back end. The truck is fitted with OME suspension so I bought two new OME bushes. On fitting them, there is still some play at the bottom end. The post that the bush goes over is slightly longer than the bush so when the bolt is fully tightened, it doesn't grip the bush at all.

I could fit some washers to reduce the length of the post but it wasn't like this before and I suspect there has always been some play in the lower mount.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Guy, sounds exactly right I'm afraid. I have done the very same thing. If you fully depress the pedal, it can scuff up the seals that normally sit in the nicely honed section of the cylinder.

Guy, sounds exactly right I'm afraid. I have done the very same thing. If you fully depress the pedal, it can scuff up the seals that normally sit in the nicely honed section of the cylinder.

Chris

Thanks for the confirmation. I debated between ordering a seal kit or ordering a new master cylinder. In the end I've ordered an Aisin master cylinder from Rough Trax. It would have been cheaper to buy a compressor and blow the pistons out as suggested by the FSM but you live and learn!

Any thoughts on my loose bushes? Are the OEM (rather than OME) ones a snug fit i.e. with no movement?

Cheers

Guy

Well it's a bit hard to say Guy. It depends where the wear actually is. New bushes should of course have sorted it out, but are they the correct ones, has the eye worn, has the spindle worn etc etc. There's a fair few variables.

Back