Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Breather tubes

That's a lot of money for 2 breather valves IMO. Why not just use tubes long enough to vent them high enough up into the engine bay 0r inside the car behind a trim panel etc so there's no chance of them becoming immersed in water and fit a small air filter on the end?

That's a lot of money for 2 breather valves IMO. Why not just use tubes long enough to vent them high enough up into the engine bay 0r inside the car behind a trim panel etc so there's no chance of them becoming immersed in water and fit a small air filter on the end?
Do I need a strengthened.armoured tube? or just any 6/8mm rubber tube

Ideal. I just used fuel hose and fuel filters but that is much neater. Haven't done my rear axle yet but have done the front and the two pipes that terminate on the side of the auto box dipstick tube.

I haven't extended mine, but don't the lockers have breathers too?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had planned to pull the cap off Toyota's own breather stick a length of fuel pipe on it , and pop another Toyota breather on the other end (i think they are about 6 quid from Roughtrax) . That way even if your bonnet is submerged the water can't get in .

But having drained the oil from everything after some deep water play at Salisbury and finding no trace of water contamination in anything i decided sod it Toyota's system works even when the breather on the back axle is rusty and likely original .

Extended mine after getting water in the rear axle and knackering the rear diff.

2 on rear axle, with the one for the diff lock, then 1 on the front and the gearbox and transfer. I just used some cheap hose from the local parts place.

theres one which runs up with the wiring, it actually higher than the standard axle breather but doesn't have the little filter cap thing on the end.

at some point someones tucked mine up into a boxed reinforcing section under the boot floor. I need to do some grovelling around under the truck when it warms up a little, i'll try to remember to take a photo.

theres one which runs up with the wiring, it actually higher than the standard axle breather but doesn't have the little filter cap thing on the end.

That's the diff lock actuator's breather and the one i need to put a cap on because while my locker has always been good it refused to engage after each deep crossing .

Back