Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Breathers

dyladams

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding diff breathers for an 80 series. I have done some research but don't seem to find enough information.

Am I correct that a simple fix is to use 6mm id fuel line clamped onto the original fittings?

Pretty much, run the front one up into the engine bay, the rear into the rear quarter panel if you dont want all that extra tubing teeing into the front one.

Put a filter on the open ends, or gut the oem valve and use that. Make sure you leave enough slack for axle movement.

Don't forget the gearbox and centre diff breathers, they are 'teed' above the transfer box, there has been mention that condensation from the gearbox/transfer can cause the centre diff to corrode. I separated both and led them up to the bulkhead in the engine bay, for the moment they are wearing small fuel filters pointing downwards, not elegant but functional.

regards

Dave

Thanks all.
Am I correct in thinking that a 6mm ID fuel line will be suitable?

How much of a mission is it to access the gear box / transfer breather?

IIRC there are TWO sizes on the gear/trans box breathers? I have pictures somewhere, just hoping they were not on my laptop that had a heart attack recently. I will have a look and confirm later.

It is fiddly to get to them and easier if you have small hands, if not lowering the cross member slightly will reveal all.

Let me look for the pics and get back to you, I am sure someone else will have the answer, I did have some 'techie' issues using this site from Spain but they are slowly but surely being sorted so may be able to post them up.

regards

Dave

OK, found the pictures but clicking 'manage attachments' brings up the wait icon for ages so here is the lowdown.

Looking from the rear of the car and on the top (obviously), and at the rear of the transfer box above the cover plate with five bolts is a 90 degree connection, this is pushed into the casing and IIRC 8mm pipe is connected to it. This goes forward a few inches and then come to a 'T', the 'T has two 8mm ports and one 6mm. The 6 mm runs across the top of the transfer and meets with the 6mm nipple on the centre diff lock. The 'T' then continues along the left hand side of the gearbox and connect to a 'Y', the base of the 'Y' is a push fit into the top of the gear stick housing, the remaining connection from the 'Y' continuing up the side of the bell housing and is held there by a bracket that goes to one of the top bell housing bolts, hope that helps?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Dave.
I think I have got the idea, but if you manage to upload the pictures or email me them that would be great.

Thanks Dave.
I think I have got the idea, but if you manage to upload the pictures or email me them that would be great.

1.jpg

OK selected three and got three!

The 1st shot of the whole gearbox is not great but you will get the idea easier.

On the transfer box below and to the left of the words 'SIN ACEITE' the 90 degree connector (8mm) to black pipe can be seen. The pipe moves forward a few inches and you can see the 'T' brass connector sticking out, this is 6mm, it is pointing across the top of the transfer box, you can see where the differential lock will be when fitted. The black pipe continues along the upper left side of the gearbox and connects to the 'Y' fitted on the top of the gear lever entry housing, this is in the second picture.

2.jpg

You can see the final part of the pipe laying across the gear box in the final picture, towards the end of the pipe you can see the bracket that would bolt to one of the upper bell housing bolts. That is all stock from the factory.

3.jpg

regards

Dave

Back