Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Broken rear axle removal problem

Anomer

Country Flag
australia
I broke the rear axle on my 2000 1FZ-F EFI 4.5 land cruiser Trope. Just travelling on a good road. Not much warning but heard something on a rough surface, which went away then about 10 minutes later, bang and no drive. Very, very hot, smoking hub. Wheel still firm though. Probably started by a bearing failure. Problem is my mechanic had huge difficulty removing the broken 3 inches or so on the flange but after a lot of banging and working it came out all scored and damaged at the break. They welded a rod to the remaining axle and pulled most of the axle out but they could not move the spline end out through the axle housing. They will have to push it back through the housing by removing the diff. Any ideas on why the full axle could not be removed? Is the housing damaged? What might have to be replaced besides the obvious bearings and axle? Inserting a new axle would seem to be a problem unless the old spline end was damaged as well.

Any ideas would be very welcome, Folks.

I have seen splines (on my pal's rally car) twist so I would imagine that would make it very difficult to remove.

You should neve the less & for peace of mind whip out the diff IF the state is such as You have described it.
If the spined end is sheared off where it goes into the diff, You may have issues there too.

Better to check twice that to be sorry........

Back