Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Broken rear door lock LC80 - How to fix?

BigO

Hi All,

The lock mechanism on my 1994 LC80 rear door is jammed. I cannot use the key to open the door. I played with the lock inside and went from the rear door not locking at all, to now it won't open. (eg the inside is pushed down at the moment)

I can't access the rear due to it being secure for expedition use.

Can anybody advise what the best solution is?

1. Can I get the lock removed and repaired? (or replaced without having to change keys?)
2. Does anybody know a London based toyota repairer?

I'm also looking to get a spare key. I found a recommended company on this site called http://www.autokeysquad.com. Though other strands seem to suggest a key can be cut at a normal keycutter. Its not an electronic fob key.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Jon

I see on that link they do roadside help, maybe your answer is there?

But surely you cant unlock the back door with the key. the barrels are only on the front doors. sounds like you will have to get the door card off from the inside. bit of a struggle i know. i got a spare key from timpsons the shoe repair shop for a tenner.

If you can turn key and nothing happens and the inside handle doesn't work it suggests to me that theres nothing wrong with the lock itself and its more likely the bar between lock and catch has fell off . You need to get inside and remove the plastics from the door .

Thanks for the comments guys.

The problem is I can't actually get the key into the lock on the rear door. I think the cover that moves to the side is busted and blocking the key getting into the lock. Pretty sure it needs to be taken apart and cleaned up. I'm not sure if that can be done from the outside only, as I can't get inside.

Is it possible a thief has tried to break the lock open ? If so it's likely knackered anyway so just resign yourself to buying a new lock and hammer a screwdriver in and turn it like a key to open the door . But before you do that how about soaking it with penetrating oil and going to a petrol station to use the air pressure pump to blow the oil in .

If your going to use a hammer make sure your other doors are open when you do it just in case all doors automatically lock !

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Agh now i was confused by your earlier post & thought you meant a rear side door, you mean the tailgate don't you !,

sorry for the hijack :oops:

would there be any reason (other than foul play) why the drivers door lock feels as though theres sommat stuck in it (not the key) ...

key goes into the barrel about 3/4 of the way ...then stops ...key will not turn either

sorry for the hijack :oops:

would there be any reason (other than foul play) why the drivers door lock feels as though theres sommat stuck in it (not the key) ...

key goes into the barrel about 3/4 of the way ...then stops ...key will not turn either

The lock has a series of tumblers so it should feel like "theres something in the way" if you insert anything but the correct key .
rekey-door-locks-1.jpg
Could be your key has worn so it hits the tumbler rather than lifts it .

Mine does that sometimes, i got a small plastic bottle of graffite powder, it has a pointed tube on the end that you can stick in the lock & puff the powder into lock, work the key in & out a few times & whatever it is that stops the key gives up the fight & viola

Yes, it is the tailgate. I don't think it has been damaged on purpose but I don't know for sure. I've waiting to hear back from the previous owner. If I have to kill the lock will that mean new locks all round? or multiple keys?

If you have to kill it i imagine you could get a duplicate lock from toyota but nothings cheap from toyota . A seperate key for the boot is probably the cheapest option .

Back