Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Broken Superwinch, any suggestions?

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
I got myself into a bit of bother a week or so ago, when I carelessly let the winch line bunch up at one end of the drum.

It forced the tie-bars apart, breaking the casting on the left side both top and bottom, and even the casting on the right side is now cracked in the same place, due to the tie-bars ‘rotating’ slightly.

It’s a 12 year old Superwinch 9.0, it’s had a hard life and owes me nothing.

I’m not a machinist and neither do I have any ‘proper’ repair type equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than the only option I have of buying a new winch?

79D95AE8-F049-48D0-B60D-B1769BA29F6E.jpeg
56967677-8737-4AE0-942D-AC351075B922.jpeg
C082EDDE-D537-4E08-A546-2991EA266741.jpeg

Clive I did exactly the same to a winch. I made a repair plate that fitted on the end of the winch which worked until, in the end, I found a new end frame casting. It's really the only practicable way.

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply!

When you say repair plate, do you mean a sort of dummy ring plate like the castings? If so, did you mount it on the outer face of the original casting?

It sounds like a plan, as it only has to keep the assembly ‘in shape’ so to speak, there’s very little force on the tie-bars, unless some idiot lets the line bunch up one end.

Somewhat embarrassing, I must say... good to hear that someone else has made the same stupid mistake :? :lol:

Hard to describe Clive and it was some years ago, but I picked up on both the tie rod holes and somewhere else as a third hole. I might have drilled that. I don't recall. But that allowed me to reinforce the broken bit satisfactorily.

Great idea, thanks.

I’ll have to think on this one, the winch is a bit tired anyway, but worth saving if I can.

Sounds like a new project for me... :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great post, thanks @flint they seem to have replacement castings, and even at £32 each, it would be cheaper than a new winch.

I’ll give them a go... cheers :thumbup:

I got myself into a bit of bother a week or so ago, when I carelessly let the winch line bunch up at one end of the drum.

It forced the tie-bars apart, breaking the casting on the left side both top and bottom, and even the casting on the right side is now cracked in the same place, due to the tie-bars ‘rotating’ slightly.

It’s a 12 year old Superwinch 9.0, it’s had a hard life and owes me nothing.

I’m not a machinist and neither do I have any ‘proper’ repair type equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than the only option I have of buying a new winch?

View attachment 154526 View attachment 154527 View attachment 154528
Surely your man in Bucharest could sort that for you?

Great post, thanks @flint they seem to have replacement castings, and even at £32 each, it would be cheaper than a new winch.

I’ll give them a go... cheers :thumbup:
Sounds like the way to go Clive. Strip it down, clean it and give it an overhaul and it will be good for another 10 years. Have a chat with electricwinchshop and they might sell you a refurb kit with fluids or give an idea of fluids needed. Shame Superwinch have gone, they were extremely helpful when I got spares for mine.

Sounds like the way to go Clive. Strip it down, clean it and give it an overhaul and it will be good for another 10 years. Have a chat with electricwinchshop and they might sell you a refurb kit with fluids or give an idea of fluids needed. Shame Superwinch have gone, they were extremely helpful when I got spares for mine.
winchmax carry a full range of spares which might be interchangeable, I suspect all these winches probably come from the same Chinese factory!

It’s not too easy to get castings welded full stop Clive. Successfully at any rate. I’d be looking at maybe substitutingbthe bars for angle irons and bolting inwards into the castings. More room for rope and as long as it’s mounted strongly won't affect performance.

It’s not too easy to get castings welded full stop Clive. Successfully at any rate. I’d be looking at maybe substitutingbthe bars for angle irons and bolting inwards into the castings. More room for rope and as long as it’s mounted strongly won't affect performance.

If I can get the castings new, I’ll be laughing!

Otherwise I have a few plan ‘Bs’ in mind now, thanks to all these posts.

The original bars were chrome plated steel, and the chrome peeled off in the first year... :?

So I had Stainless bars made up, and of course they’re as good as new. I could make some 4mm steel plates up and profile them to suit the casting, one piece for each side so that the bars are spaced properly and fixed bar-to-bar.

I could also space them to give a bit more room on the drum.

I’m planning a bit of a facelift for the truck this year, removing the plastic and going back to paint, so the bumpers will be coming off for a sandblast and repaint anyway. While the winch is off it can also have a facelift and full service.

If it’s too far gone, maybe I’ll get a replacement. GTC (my service workshop) have a 4x4 shop as well, so I might get a bit of discount as a 12-year regular customer.

It would be nice to get one that’s a bit faster and with a radio remote, and with a bit of luck, one with some paint on it... :lol:

Radio remotes can easily be added. Paint would if course be done at refurb time. I doubt there’s much wrong with it internally.

The idea of getting someone to actually repair something around here always fills me with dread , they won't even tell me how much they will charge to make a mess of it . But with the skills you have available to you in Romania Clive i wouldn't bother even thinking about it , just take it down to your man and say here fix this and it might cost you a whole pack of cigs you lucky Blighter you .

I have been wondering if i should get some Crown rust protection in the handheld spray for my winch , i'm assuming its some kind of silicone so can't harm the plasma rope . Does anyone have any thoughts on it ?

I don’t think it’s silicone Shayne but if you give Rob at Krown UK a call, no doubt he will tell you, and supply you some cans. A call to Marlow ropes would be worthwhile too.

The idea of getting someone to actually repair something around here always fills me with dread , they won't even tell me how much they will charge to make a mess of it . But with the skills you have available to you in Romania Clive i wouldn't bother even thinking about it , just take it down to your man and say here fix this and it might cost you a whole pack of cigs you lucky Blighter you .

I have been wondering if i should get some Crown rust protection in the handheld spray for my winch , i'm assuming its some kind of silicone so can't harm the plasma rope . Does anyone have any thoughts on it ?

Trouble is Shayne, it’s made me lazy. I’m actually looking forward to stripping that old winch down. It’s had loads of abuse but still keeps going somehow. Remember me winching Chas out of the river on a straight pull? I ran it to a stall that day, it should have burned out, but didn’t.

I can’t help you with paint, I prepped and slapped some black stuff on mine a few years ago, but it soon peeled off again.

Back