Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Budget Awning for the 80

Bat21

Supporter
Country Flag
morocco
Take 3 Decathalon Tarps @£19.99 each and one old set of the kids goal posts that have been lying in the "they will come in handy one day" corner.
971872476_JC6jV-O.jpg

Next, take wife/partner etc and lock her in a small room with a sewing machine, feed and water every two hours until 'done', note the speed of those hands :shock:
971872199_pE85k-O.jpg

Hey presto, one finished awning/changing room/kahzi for the Land Cruiser
971872250_GfHcV-O.jpg

971872283_uFvr7-O.jpg

971872326_xXW2H-O.jpg

Took some working out to get around the spare wheel mounts, but velcro and clever needlework got it sorted.
971872401_tXj7i-O.jpg

The tyres even have 'built in' tie down points :D
971872371_6d7xj-O.jpg

The 'goal posts' fit into brackets bolted to the roof rack
971872434_SoE48-O.jpg

971872404_Njzdn-O.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Credit to you both.Ive been thinking of what could be done for the lack of room factor and that seems to work great. Have you not thought of making a few? If so any idea on a price?
Thanks karl

Very nice. Impressive
Been thinking of doing one similar for yrs and never got around to it.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the "privacy" tent pictured above only seems to work when the 80's rear door is open ? . Not good me thinks when someone wants to squat and you want to sleep lol .

I think i'd put pipes on the roof rack then put pvc water pipe inside . the pvc , being flexible , could then pulled out and bent to the ground giving you an instant frame on which to throw a canvas cut to fit .

Correct me if i'm wrong but the "privacy" tent pictured above only seems to work when the 80's rear door is open ? . Not good me thinks when someone wants to squat and you want to sleep lol.
I don't think the doors are open it's just the wheel carrier swung out, 80's have got upper & lower tailgates not barn doors. :think:

Last edited:
Correct me if i'm wrong but the "privacy" tent pictured above only seems to work when the 80's rear door is open?....
Sand corrected.... the 80 doesn't have a door, just a hatch and a tailgate :icon-wink:

Both were closed in the photos :thumbup:

Bat21 - how do you secure the waffle boards to the rack - looks like you have an aluminium rail that sits at 90 degrees - how did you attach that to the horizontal one - L-brackets?

Bat21 - how do you secure the waffle boards to the rack - looks like you have an aluminium rail that sits at 90 degrees - how did you attach that to the horizontal one - L-brackets?
oostsco, the whole roof rack is modular.

I made it from Rhino Bars and articulated lorry Sideguard rail (see top left here). The sideguard rail is aluminium so is very light but also very strong. Being home grown means it could be made any length or width.

i-MRNcTht-L.jpg

The sideguard rail has a slot along its length that takes a 8mm coach bolt. I fabricated some brackets from 75mm x 75mm x 3mm aluminium angle which enabled me to 'bolt' the sides on. The sides were then fitted with 'cotton reels' for the sand ladders to locate onto.

I Want one please.

Can I put my order in NOW

Mal
We now have a Howling Moon roof tent with awning, so if we get on with it next time we venture away, this one might be going spare. I don't want to let it go just yet in case we revert back to our original sleeping arrangements of sleeping in the back of the truck while away :icon-biggrin:

I seen to remember designing that roof rack.

Or am I mistaken.

Mal

Drilled right through with an 8mm drill then used M8 coach bolts with nylon nuts :thumbup: it did take a while to file each top hole square though.

Last edited:
Back