Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Budget Long Range Fuel Tank

Paul

Garage
Country Flag
england
I have just picked this up for next to nothing off the bay. Its a Disco 2 (don't start) fuel tank.

Discofueltank.jpg

Will do a test fit up where the spare wheel is and sort out the piping etc just to see if it is feasable, and what is the best route for either transfering the fuel from tank to tank or a change over switch between tanks to feed the pump directly and whether an extra fuel pump is needed.
The tank holds 85 litres.

Paul said:
I have just picked this up for next to nothing off the bay. Its a Disco 2 (don't start) fuel tank.
Whaddaya mean don't start :lol: Discos don't need long range fuel tanks - they breakdown long before the fuel is used up and get to their destinations on the back of a breakdown truck :idea:
I hope it doesn't cause any reliability problems for you :mrgreen:

Paul said:
........ Will do a test fit up where the spare wheel is and sort out the piping etc just to see if it is feasable, and what is the best route for either transfering the fuel from tank to tank or a change over switch between tanks to feed the pump directly and whether an extra fuel pump is needed.
The tank holds 85 litres.
Nice idea Paul, I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes.

I toyed with the idea of getting a alloy tank made to fit in the spare wheel space but, trying to motivate my alloy welder mate into doing so has proved to be impossible.

My plan was to have a 'Y' filler tube so that both tanks got filled at the same time. I was then going to plumb in a 12v lift pump to shift the fuel from the axillary tank into the main one once it was nearing empty.

Keep us posted
thumb.gif

I thought you may appreciate a little info on my set up to help you make your choice...

I have an underslung tank (where the spare used to be).

So I also have a double filler neck...
SDC12384.jpg

And then a switch near the dash to allow me to switch between tanks, the switch operates a solenoid under the hood...
SDC12386.jpg

The plumbing here is fairly straight forward and I should have a copy of the electrical circuit diagram if you decide to go this way!.

Each tank has its own in-line fuel filter (shown in above pic) as well as the large standard affair. This works well for when using fuel from dubious sources - but adds complexity to regular servicing (i.e. should I change all filters or just the one I use the most??).

Any way if you'd like any more pics or have any specific queries I'll endeavour to help - but I didn't install this myself so I definitely don't have all the answers...

Edit: Should have said - the main advantage here is not having to use both tanks for regular driving - you really can notice when you're carrying the additional fuel!

Hope this helps.

J

Justin_Elliott said:
Edit: Should have said - the main advantage here is not having to use both tanks for regular driving - you really can notice when you're carrying the additional fuel!

J

You might get problems with rust in the tank if you leave it empty for a long time.

Back