Bugger

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
As in the title really....

Driving to work this morning, very cold -15C and BANG the rear screen shattered on the larger of the two ambulance doors at the back.

It stayed in one fully shattered piece, so when I got to the office I taped it up insitu with some odd end pieces of sticky-back vinyl and wide band Scotch tape, and its holding.

IMG_9111.JPG

IMG_9112.JPG

All my fault of course.

I'd chucked a small roll of chain-link fencing in the back and as luck would have it, it shorted the rear screen demist element causing a hot-spot, which at that low temperature exploded the glass.

The hunt is on....

Condolences, and perhaps some one in Australia may be able to source something, assuming that RHD and LHD have the same rear doors.
Don't want to think what the price might be from Toyota.
I don't know if Amayama do door glasses but you will also probably stand a good chance of finding one in the middle east.
Good luck in your search.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Condolences, and perhaps some one in Australia may be able to source something, assuming that RHD and LHD have the same rear doors.
Don't want to think what the price might be from Toyota.
I don't know if Amayama do door glasses but you will also probably stand a good chance of finding one in the middle east.
Good luck in your search.

Thanks guys, I'll get a Toyota price here just for fun... and hope I don't have to buy it :lol:

I'm not sure when I'm off to Qatar next, but it will be available there and much cheaper, I'll bet. There's quite a few petrols in Doha with these doors.

This weekend and all next week I'm in Istanbul, so all I can do in between is phone and interweb.

I'll get one, from somewhere... :whistle:

Yep that's definitely an oh bugger moment! I bet that woke you up?!

Did too, Gary.

Me and the Mrs almost shat ourselves, it was like a gun going off.

So glad it held in one piece though, bloody hell its cold these days! Must be global warming.

That's bad luck Clive. To successfully short out a section of rear demister takes a lot of accuracy. If I were you I'd buy a lottery ticket 'cos the odds are about the same.
As a suggestion, template the rubber before the glass comes out. If it's anything like the gullwings, the glass goes in by 10mm all round. You could get a sheet of hardboard or ally cut to shape to temporarily fit in place of the glass. Just get the truck nice and warm before you put it in. I would say take it out and put it in but getting the rubber out is going to be far easier.
Once out clean up the rubber in the bath with warm water and a Brillo pad (wait til Aura goes out :) ), clean the bath of black marks (least painful route) and the rubber (if ok to start with) should come up pretty well like new. Piece of 5mm cord round the outside groove of the rubber to pull the rubber round the frame and before too long it will go back in.

Last edited:
That's bad luck Clive. To successfully short out a section of rear demise takes a lot of accuracy. If I were you I'd buy a lottery ticket 'cos the odds are about the same.
As a suggestion, template the rubber beforevthe glass comes out. If it's anything like the gullwings, the glass goes in by 10mm all round. You could get a sheet of hardboard or ally cut to shape to temporarily fit in place of the glass. Just get the truck nice and warm before you put it in. I would say take it out and put it in but getting the rubber out is going to be far easier.
Once out clean up the rubber in the bath with warm water and a Brillo pad (wait til Aura goes out :) ), clean the bath of black marks (least painful route) and the rubber (if ok to start with) should come up pretty well like new. Piece of 5mm cord round the outside groove of the rubber to pull the rubber round the frame and before too long it will go back in.

All good stuff Rich, thanks, my own personal sticky :lol::thumbup:

All the glass was out 4 years ago for the respray, and the painter said how good the rubbers were.

He's bonded them in with something black, but it's still soft. The front screen is creaking spookily in this cold weather, I was almost expecting that to pop on some of the potholes that have opened up.

D'ya fancy doing gullwings for rear ambulance doors Rich? :thumbup:

Don't know what your insurance is like there, but I know the UK have some good coverage on windscreens if chipped/broken. Could be a cheaper alternative, just a thought! Bad luck for sure

As in the title really....

Driving to work this morning, very cold -15C and BANG the rear screen shattered on the larger of the two ambulance doors at the back.

It stayed in one fully shattered piece, so when I got to the office I taped it up insitu with some odd end pieces of sticky-back vinyl and wide band Scotch tape, and its holding.

View attachment 112959

View attachment 112960

All my fault of course.

I'd chucked a small roll of chain-link fencing in the back and as luck would have it, it shorted the rear screen demist element causing a hot-spot, which at that low temperature exploded the glass.

The hunt is on....

What a pain ! Would a bit of thin clear polycarbonate sheet be any good as a stop gap ?

Clive, you stand a decent chance of finding one in a scrapper when your next in Doha....

What a pain ! Would a bit of thin clear polycarbonate sheet be any good as a stop gap ?
Yeah, er…much easier to see through than a piece of ally…:doh:what was I thinking?? Gullwings on the brain perhaps…?

Back