Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Building Britain's Ultimate Warship

Just in case you're at home, I made a film for Channel 4 that transmits Monday May 31st at 19:30 called 'Building Britain's Ultimate Warship'.

It follows the life so far of the Royal Navy's latest destroyer, HMs Daring one of 6 Type 45 destroyers, from first cut of steel to launch and then sea trials and weapons testing.

If you thought your truck was big, this is bigger - I'm all over it i'm afraid, writer/director/narrator. Had a fab time making it.

All the best

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,
I'd already set the recorder to record that, I'll watch now with added interest :D

Thanks for the heads up Jeremy, I have seen this ship in Portsmouth 09 / 10 and will be viewing your film with great interest.

Jeremey
Saw your documentary, very interesting
I watched it with my Dad who was involved with Project Horizon he enjoyed it aswell, but did bring up a French stealth boat that was a bit ahead of are new boats
J

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Obviously Tommo hasn't seen this thread yet.

Thoroughly enjoyed the documentary Jeremy. I was on the type 42s in the Falklands. I see a lot of lessons were learn't from 1982.
Just a shame it has taken so long to put these upgrades into practice.

Nice one jeremy- a really interesting documentary- watched it without being prompted by this thread.

Spent some time of HMS Richmond a fair few years ago not long after it had been commissioned, but the Type 45 Looks a lot more interesting.

Would have liked to hear a bit more about its capabilities- top speed, close protection, etc etc but guess most of that is still classified.

Are you goign to do be able to do the same with the aircraft carriers if/when they get built?

Bit of a pet bugbear but would it be possible for documentary makers to stop repaeating information just because there's been an ad-break? Realise that a lot of TV viewwers aren't the brigtest of people but those people that are likely to find the building of a warship interesting are unlikely to be the really stupid ones!

Hey Ecky, what 42 were you on in the Falklands then? My old man was on HMS Glasgow.

silvercruiser said:
yes il be watching too cheers.

Joe

Ha ha how stupid was I, if you look at the time i posted it was either on or finished :lol:

Coming back from my hols has put me right out on the days and i was thinking it was on tonight thinking yesterday was sunday :lol:

Oh well is it going to repeated anytime soon :?:

Joe

Ecky Thump said:
Obviously Tommo hasn't seen this thread yet.

Thoroughly enjoyed the documentary Jeremy. I was on the type 42s in the Falklands. I see a lot of lessons were learn't from 1982.

Seen it, but don't know if i'm going to watch it or not..... I have to blo**dy live it!

Although having said that i have been on Daring and Dauntless and they are a bit of a palace!

This is a proper destroyer.....HMS Manchester,Type 42 Batch III Air Defence Destroyer ;)
MightyManch.jpg

Myself and Ecky both served on her albeit about 25 years apart!

Jeremy L-Jones said:
Just in case you're at home, I made a film for Channel 4 that transmits Monday May 31st at 19:30 called 'Building Britain's Ultimate Warship'.
Jeremy
I've just watched the beginning so far, I've got to go out for a while, I'll watch the rest when I get back. Why can't the people up on the Clyde learn to speak English? that fella painting the ship, I couldn't understand a word he said :? :lol:
Chas

Paul said:
Hey Ecky, what 42 were you on in the Falklands then? My old man was on HMS Glasgow.

HMS Coventry which was my first 42 followed by the Mighty Manch as Tommo has already mentioned. Left her in late 86.
Left the Cov on 25th May 1982 sometime in the late afternoon if I remember correctly ;)

Ecky Thump said:
Paul said:

HMS Coventry which was my first 42 followed by the Mighty Manch as Tommo has already mentioned. Left her in late 86.
Left the Cov on 25th May 1982 sometime in the late afternoon if I remember correctly ;)

Coventry.jpg

.......when she looked like this, just before going over and sinking in position 39°09.3S 039°27,9W in approximately 160mtres of water.

Respect to my father in law!

Cossack said:
Jeremy L-Jones said:
Jeremy
I've just watched the beginning so far, I've got to go out for a while, I'll watch the rest when I get back. Why can't the people up on the Clyde learn to speak English? that fella painting the ship, I couldn't understand a word he said :? :lol:
Chas

Perfectly understandable...! He'd probably say the same about you...

Glad some of you watched it.

Tommo&Claire said:
[quote="Ecky Thump":2hjzyb5m]Obviously Tommo hasn't seen this thread yet.

Seen it, but don't know if i'm going to watch it or not..... I have to blo**dy live it!

Although having said that i have been on Daring and Dauntless and they are a bit of a palace!

This is a proper destroyer.....HMS Manchester,Type 42 Batch III Air Defence Destroyer ;)
MightyManch.jpg

Myself and Ecky both served on her albeit about 25 years apart![/quote:2hjzyb5m]

My brother was in Fleet Air Arm during the Falklands... Lynx, on various ships. As for Type 42s, there's a lot of affection amongst current officers and rates for them - the MEO on board Daring was on Manchester before he moved to the new ship and like everybody I spoke to and met on board, they just love the Type 42s.

My time spent on Daring was extraordinary - I loved every minute even though some days and nights seem to blend into each other with filming and finding my way round the ship!!

Above all, a ship is only as good as it's crew, fantastic group of men and women.

Jeremy

Back