Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buschtaxi and Norway

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
In the vague expectation I’ll have my trailer by September I’m thinking of heading for a Norwegian road trip and maybe going via the Buschtaxi meet on 6th Sept.

Travelling solo but with a dog which may or may not complicate things but does mean I have to be back in the UK before 31 Oct when the pet passport will instantly expire thanks to our inept government....

I’ve been up into Scandinavia a couple of times but fleeting visits, the first was the Cape to Cape and then in 2009 up to Tromso and back. On the latter I struggled to find camping of any sort and got the impression that wild camping wasn’t allowed...but reading posts here I now understand that’s not so.

I’d welcome any ideas, advice etc on must see locations, good and bad routes etc and also on mapping, looking at the 1:50,000 OS type maps on Viewranger. I have full Sygic for road routes but like detail so I can look for places to go.

Hi

One of the top ten bucket list of to do is the The Atlantic Road, https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...202aa8c26cd5ce46!8m2!3d63.0167609!4d7.3547459

Being the plonker I am I missed it by about 10m, :(, I guess its a good reason to go back.

I would highly recommend visiting Lofoten, feels like your on the Lord Of the Rings set. Its amazing area.https://www.google.com/maps/@68.250...m1!1e3!4m2!6m1!1s1AqG_b1lGll0d3PL8WZOuMH5utsw

I have hard maps and books your more than welcome to borrow there about 3yrs old.

G.

Thanks Gary, I have Lonely Planet guides. Thanks for the reminder on the Atlantic Highway, I’d forgotten about that!

I got this advice from SafariTecPeter, it was really useful,

If Yoi intend to travel alot with ferries, its hard not to if You do the fas West route, get a "Ferrypass" & save a fortune.If You intend to travel on the bigger E-roads, sooner rather than later You will face tollroads. They are electronically collected, so either face the bill when it comes of get yourself an E-Tag from Autopass & again save a good deal of money.

IN PRINCIPAL You can look for NAF Camping if You are on the lower end of the quality&budget scale. NAF ist the equivalent to Your AA btw.
Most camp sites will be open to passing through guests.
Depending on where You travel, the socalled "free camping" referred to above is not quite as easy. You must stay no less than 100 meters from the closes building, not endager livestock or go onto farmland.
Pick up your litter & dont empty the toilette on the lawn....
Many laybys are being heavily targeted by certain travellers in HUGE caravans... Personally I don`t mix well with them.... so looking for more secluded spots may be good. Travelling the back roads will certainly give You WAY more scenery than the main roads.

Best maps are for free -> http://www.kartverket.no/Kart/

The ferry pass saved me alot.

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back