Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buyers guide for a 90 series Prado / Colorado?

dyladams

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi there

is there a buyers guide for a 90 series.

a friend of mine is considering buying one and want to point him the right direction.

Thinking of the later D4D model.

Where are the week points including where do they rust?

Body mounts and rear axle rust tells most of the story , if the rear locker still works its likely to be a good truck .

The D4D 90 is a 1KD and very capable of mighty miles with just regular servicing .

If its manual a smooth gear change might be something to have in mind because i think the d4d models are more likely to stretch the transfer box chain , clutch engages with a thump .

Not sure how many miles your prospective one is but mine had 376,000km (roughly 233,000 miles) on the clock when I bought it, and it needed the front lower ball joints and front control arm bushings done. It's a big job requiring removal of almost the whole front suspension and steering rack, and cost me about A$1500 to get a mechanic to do it.

I would replace upper and lower ball joints as a matter of course , they have a tendency to fail without warning.As they age they tend to seize so you can't detect any play.There are issues with this engine regarding the injector seals - I'm sure someone more experienced will be able to comment?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back