Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying 1st (rare?) LC - Please Help Identify!

LC_Lover

Country Flag
england
Good Morning All,

I am currently checking out a car and will be buying my 1st LC and can't wait! It is currently located overseas with a private individual so I was wondering if an anybody help with identifying what type it is?

My opinion is I've narrowed it down to:

BJ43 - NOT POSSIBLE, I hear there were no factory hard tops produced, only after market
BJ44 - POSSIBLE
BJ45 - NOT POSSIBLE, this is a LWB my one seems to be MWB (can tell by shorter rear passenger windows)
BJ46 - POSSIBLE

I have also read that BJ44 has 4 speed transmission and BJ46 has 5 speed - maybe this is a simple question I can ask to find out what model it is?

Can you guys share your thoughts on what model it is? Thank you!
IMG-20181212-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20181212-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20181212-WA0016.jpg

I think it is a BJ44 but I am only going from the window/body configuration. Headlight surround says is it post 1980

To be sure ask the owner to send the full VIN plate details - that will confirm model + year + mechanical config, etc. If you get the VIN we can analyse it for you, if you wish.

The 44 was never officially imported into the USA (because it was only produced as a BJ - diesel) but aside from the mid-length body it will have standard 40 series parts - originally anyway.

Nice looking truck. Proportions are good and as you say - rare.

The 46 was the same as the 45T with a 5 speed box - so too long.

The 44 has the same wheelbase (2430mm) as the 43 (soft-top only as you rightly say) but the 44 came with a 2B engine whereas the 43 had the B motor.

I hope this helps and if you need any further info, just ask

Regards,

Rodger

If you don't mind me saying ....
If you do buy it see if the owner has the original split rim wheels (and hub caps) with it as they are so much better than what is on it (forgive me but IMO those are just too modern looking for a classic truck).
The split rims and original hub caps cost a fortune so if you can get them in the deal, all well and good. And if you don't want/use them they will sell.

Regards,

Rodger

Fyi
I have a MWB bj46 with a 4 speed transmission, no power steering and also the old style dashboard.....
So there are some overlaps in different models.
I guess it's a bj46

With you on the wheels Rodger, it’s a shame, they spoil the otherwise lovely classic look.

Great looking truck LCL, welcome aboard BTW...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
agree on the wheels.... I'd take a flying guess the bonnet 'catch' is a later edition too...:laughing:

I thought the model shown was possibly a 44 because it is RHD and the 44 was Japanese market only but it could be a 46 because they appear to have used the same body(?), so it down to mechanical variations.
Also I made an error - there was a 43 with hard top - the FJ43V based on the MWB.

Regards,

Rodger

Back