Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Buying a FJ4x overseas

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Folks,
Would really love to buy a FJ4o/BJ40 or 43 or 45, as a restoration project, any good websites to search overseas as I think the 1’s in the UK are already crazy money and few and far between.
Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig,
The obvious places are Ireland, France, Germany via ebay, gumtree, etc but they have wet climates so that's not good. Oz has loads but it is a case of finding someone who is prepared to arrange everything at that end (FB 40 series owners Australia) - most are 42s.
Worth looking at www.megastore4x4.pt - they currently list 7 restorable 40s and Portugal is a warmer climate and there are a lot more 40s there than in Spain.
Hope that helps

Regards
Rodger

Hi Craig,
The obvious places are Ireland, France, Germany via ebay, gumtree, etc but they have wet climates so that's not good. Oz has loads but it is a case of finding someone who is prepared to arrange everything at that end (FB 40 series owners Australia) - most are 42s.
Worth looking at www.megastore4x4.pt - they currently list 7 restorable 40s and Portugal is a warmer climate and there are a lot more 40s there than in Spain.
Hope that helps

Regards
Rodger

Thanks Rodger, a good site which I will keep my eye on, and some potential options.

The prices are also starting to head up here in Aus for a good one - ours was AU$5500 and has had another $2k+ in parts into it. Still quite cheap, but by the time you ship it, the cost of the ones in the UK is pretty close.

For example, I know someone who is selling a HJ45 for $3500, but it's probably a couple of k from being on the road...
Josh's Cruiser.jpg

Josh's Cruiser 2.jpg

Josh's Cruiser 3.jpg

Josh's Cruiser 4.jpg

Josh's Cruiser 5.jpg

It's a 1980 HJ45, so one of the last with the H engine, and is located on the New England Tablelands, so quite a dry area (for Australia)

Why not look at Cyprus? My 2001 95 has zero rust but much older cars are also TOTALLY rust free. TBH, I think the prices here can be a bit more expensive than the UK but I have not undertaken a proper comparison. Other advantage is that the cars are RHD. It costs about £1000 to import a car from UK to Cyprus so I would imagine it would be approx the same in reverse. I think someone on this forum is looking to import a LC from Cyprus to UK.

There is a Cyprus and Cruiser forum on FB and the favourite web sites for selling are :-
https://www.bazaraki.com/car-motorbikes-boats-and-parts/cars-trucks-and-vans/
https://www.autotrader.com.cy/
https://cars-cyprus.com/

Hope this helps.

I bought an HJ45 in France a few years ago, and if you look on leboncoin.fr you can see what's around. Prices vary a lot, but you may find a project at a reasonable cost and there are a lot more there than in the UK, and it's not far!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks folks very useful websites, there are a lot of options on the French one.
As we are a family of 5 the BJ46s looking interesting!

Probably a better choice would be South Africa as quite a number still in use. Dry climate, good exchange rate plus right hand drive.

Perhaps worth remembering that in certain countries the seller needs to hold an export licence e.g. Pakistan. Also the specification can vary - no heaters in hot climate trucks.

Regards,

Rodger

Folks great info, think there is lots of option out there, probably need to look at importing rules and if it practical

Why not look at Cyprus? My 2001 95 has zero rust but much older cars are also TOTALLY rust free. TBH, I think the prices here can be a bit more expensive than the UK but I have not undertaken a proper comparison. Other advantage is that the cars are RHD. It costs about £1000 to import a car from UK to Cyprus so I would imagine it would be approx the same in reverse. I think someone on this forum is looking to import a LC from Cyprus to UK.

There is a Cyprus and Cruiser forum on FB and the favourite web sites for selling are :-
https://www.bazaraki.com/car-motorbikes-boats-and-parts/cars-trucks-and-vans/
https://www.autotrader.com.cy/
https://cars-cyprus.com/

Hope this helps.
Ferry to the mainland and drive it home:)

The prices are also starting to head up here in Aus for a good one - ours was AU$5500 and has had another $2k+ in parts into it. Still quite cheap, but by the time you ship it, the cost of the ones in the UK is pretty close.

For example, I know someone who is selling a HJ45 for $3500, but it's probably a couple of k from being on the road...
View attachment 144596
View attachment 144592
View attachment 144593
View attachment 144594
View attachment 144595

It's a 1980 HJ45, so one of the last with the H engine, and is located on the New England Tablelands, so quite a dry area (for Australia)
The problem with restoring one in the uk is it’s expensive getting parts as they were never imported here.

The BJ40 listed at Brightwells as a '79 is, according to the vin number, an 08/1982.

Folks,
Would really love to buy a FJ4o/BJ40 or 43 or 45, as a restoration project, any good websites to search overseas as I think the 1’s in the UK are already crazy money and few and far between.
Cheers
Craig

Finding them overseas is the easy part it's getting the $ to the country, working with the sellers and then finally shipping. I just bought a BJ40 1976 in very good condition in Costa Rica for $4500 but expenses are nearly $2000. Now I need help finding the address where it was made so I can complete the customs paperwork. Anyone know where I can find that info?

Finding them overseas is the easy part it's getting the $ to the country, working with the sellers and then finally shipping. I just bought a BJ40 1976 in very good condition in Costa Rica for $4500 but expenses are nearly $2000. Now I need help finding the address where it was made so I can complete the customs paperwork. Anyone know where I can find that info?
Just say Toyota motor corporation japan, they won’t know any different.

Folks,
Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig,

I import vehicles from South Africa. SA has the advantage of being a dry climate (as long as you buy from inland), RHD and still relatively cheap. Disadvantages can be there are a lot of bush mechanics in Africa so you have to be careful they haven’t been messed about too much. Also, export documentation can be a pain to organise.

You can look online but I get my vehicles by looking around, I have ‘spotters’ that go to farms etc out in the sticks and find vehicles.

If
You are interested I can find you a vehicle, organise the documentation and put it on a boat to the UK.

I recently imported an FJ, see my posts.

Regards

Larry

Back