Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

By-pass oil filtration system - people's views.....?

I like the idea I must say. I know that the Landrover Disappointment has a centrifugal oil spinner tun by oil pressure that spins out the soot and dirt meaning that the oil only needs changing at something like 20k. Nice idea. Shame that they didn't blag that idea instead of a simple filter medium.

If it really meant that you didn't need to change your oil until 10k or something it would pay for itself I guess in a relatively short period for a high miler.

I only do 4-5k per year in mine.

C

Have you thought of trying the higher quality OEM oil filter that's available? Supposed to have larger media and finer filtering and is what it came from the factory with but isn't used as standard after that to keep the standard OEM oil filter competative on cost apparently.

I didn't know there was a higher quality OEM filter. Cheers, Jon, I might see how much they are as anything to better protect the engine is a good idea in my mind.

When you install one of those make sure when the truck is warm and running idle the engine receives enough oil pressure.
A simple check valve will do the trick.

Some spinners come with a Cut Off Valve (COV), that means that when the oil pressure is low, the oil bypasses the rotor cap.

Jon any idea what the higher quality oem filter filters to? I read that standard is about 30 micron, seems high given that a fuel filter is typically 10 micron.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
nathanrobo said:
Jon any idea what the higher quality oem filter filters to?
Not seen figures for them nathan, just that the filters the engines come with from the factory are finer than what is usually listed as the standard replacement part.

Part no on ToyoDiy is 15601 (90915 30002). Is this the origninal fine filter part number?

Is a finer filter as used from the factory coming to have any detremental impact on flow, with a pump that has some wear? For example my truck has 90k miles on it and so pump pressure will be different to a brand new oil pump.

I only noted the part number for a petrol 100 but if you search ih8mud with 90915-20004 it'll turn up some threads on the subject. Remember they're mostly talking about petrol engines over there but there are one or two references to diesels from Canadians usually.

Back