Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cadac skottle braai

stumog

Country Flag
england
I expect this will only be answered by a SAFA, I got a real south African skottle braai not the UK heath and safety version but a little unsure of what gas bottle to use thinking of a 907 but they don't have a tap to turn off the gas supply. Is this OK to us like that?

Cheers
Stuart

The SA Skottle is designed to work on SA spec LPG which is 50/50 mix of propane and butane with a vapour pressure at 20C of about 450 kPa.

In the UK you can buy either propane or butane which have almost identical calorific values per kg and the flame temperatures in air are almost identical, the major difference is the vapour pressure at 20C and the boiling point.

Propane = 700 kPa and BP -45C
Butane = 200 kPa and BP 0C

Butane cyls in the UK have a variety of valves fitted and the cyl used with the Skottel is the Campingaz self sealing fitted with an adapter valve.
This is the problem as the butane has insufficient pressure for the Skottel to work as designed and as temps drop the problem gets worse - @10C the vapour pressure drops to 50 kPa and at 0C = zilch

Propane cyls in the UK have the same valve as SA industrial cyls - 5/8th BSP LH thread. I know in SA there is an attachment for these cyls called a shoulder stand available from good gas stores which should work on UK cyls and would solve your problem.

I'd wait a bit if I were you Stu, until someone who knows what they're talking about comes along... :lol:

Wow laz thanks for that i wasnt expecting such a responce at all. I will try a shop tomorrow and see what i can find cheers.

Stu,

If you don't come good, give me a shout as I'm in SA in a couple of weeks...see if I can sort something for you from there.

ThThanks buddy i will let you know.

Stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't you just change the regulator for an adjustable UK propane one? Surely it's just a hose connection?

Not so easy Rich

They leg as such is a pipe that goes straight to the bottle.

There's gotta be a mod there somewhere worth doing. Can you pop a photo up of the way the pipe work attaches to the bottle and forms the leg?

Bump, any developments on this? I have a skottle here too and need to get a bottle. was thinking of making a stand then connecting it with a flexi hose as long as i can get an adjustable regulator.

Ok so I managed to buy a pipe with the tap for the skottle, connected it up to a camping gas bottle but there is hardly any pressure, does anyone know if the pipe has any jets that could be different to the South African pipe?

There maybe a need to change the jet size in the Skottle to match the gas and pressure you are running. There is most probably some info on the net about this generally and drilling out the brass jet should be easy with the right size drill bit ordered from EBay.

Back