Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Caliper refurbishment how-to guide

Citizen Brown

Country Flag
england
I have just refurbished all 4 calipers and thought I would share the following guidance and pictures to assist.

Step 1:
Remove all 4 calipers and inspect
brake 4.JPG

brake 1.JPG

brake 2.JPG

brake 5.JPG

They looked like something off the Titanic which is funny as the vehicle appeared to be stopping relatively ok-ish

Step 2:
This is the technical bit so pay attention.

You will need the following tools:

Cardboard box;
Packing tape:
Bubble Wrap (optional as yesterday's newspaper will do!)

1. Wrap the calipers in the Bubble Wrap/ newspaper and place in cardboard box.

2. Tape up securely with the packing tape. When this is done affix the following label:

Biggred
The Workshop
Worcester
WR2 4AY

3. Send box by courier £6.60, I recall.

4. Wait 2 weeks then onto Step 3.

Step 3
Receive the following:

box.JPG

Step 4:
Be impressed at the standard of workmanship, quick turnaround, having dealt with a good bunch of chaps and....
brake fin 2.JPG

MOST IMPORTANTLY.....

brake fin 1.JPG

Not having spent probably a good 4-5 days extracting pistons from seized calipers, scraping rust, removing cracked seals, electroplating, reassembling and testing said calipers (oh and giving yourself the 3 year warranty too)

I think most of us on the Forum actually enjoy working on the vehicles, but refurbishing brake calipers- really!

Total cost £255.70 including VAT

Frankly that's a bloody bargain. My time is worth more than that to me. and at the end of the day you get a stunning job. Were different finishes more / less money? Last time I tried their website was under maintenance.

Standard finish is a choice of silver or gold with a quick turnaround but the price and time frame goes up if you want to choose a colour i think 10 days was mentioned when i spoke to them .

Hardly worth mentioning but they say the measure of company quality is how they respond when things go wrong and when i contacted them to ask why the dust shields hadn't been returned they were very apologetic and called me back half hour later to say they weren't fit for shotblasting so had been set aside but should have been returned regardless . They were posted out the following day tidied up as much as possible and painted despite my saying i wasn't bothered about refitting them .

Last edited:
Mention the club i'm sure i got a discount by doing so

That's amazing I'm so happy for you Citizen Brown. The quality with paint looks stunning. I paid just around £95 for the kits to do myself plus paint & time so absolutely worth every penny.

Thanks for sharing :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's a bargain, after seeing this and when Shayne had his done I wish I'd sent mine off and saved myself the time and effort tbh!!

I have spare calipers lying around so I think I'll send off a set and have them done ready to go one when I need to. I don't have to have the vehicle off road then

I chose the electroplated option. The silver paint was cheaper. For a few quid more there was a choice of many colours too.

My dust shields were beyond repair too. Don't think they are vital.

The electroplated option was the longest turnaround.

Good job !!! I've been running without the front shields for a while with no apparent problems. I did think of replacing them when I did the wheel bearings ( I left the centre ring in as a spacer ) but after having a few stones being caught between them and the disc, I didn't.

they do look flash, I used stainless steel pistons when I rebuilt mine, supposed to be more resistant to rust from saltwater, although I try and keep out of that when I am on the beaches. Remember DOT3 brake fluid is recommended when you flush and bleed it, and when you put the kit in the master cylinder note the position of the pressure relief bucket seal, get it wrong way round and your brakes will jam on

Back