Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Call sign Mojo

Mojo

Country Flag
hong_kong
Now that I have reached my statutory '15' posts, i guess its time to introduce myself and post some pics (which I am afraid are not riveting unless you like a rusty chassis).
Not so long ago, I challenged myself to drive solo from Hong Kong to Portugal...because I could. I wanted to see how far I could go in a random vehicle, which so happened to be a 1992 Hilux Twin Cab/2.4 TD.
DSC03881.jpg
I am in the process of finishing the book which talks about my random ramblings over the course of a year (ignore the weblink on side of 4x4). Anyway whilst in Russia, lost somewhere in Siberia, i went for my first weekend 'Taiga laning' with a unimog and and a Landcrusier 80. I promised myself there and then I would get one...an 80 that is.

Fast forward to 2015, and I managed to find a 1997 80, last month, which I hastily drove down to Iberia where the work is slowly starting to see what needs doing and buying.
My concern is the chassis, so I had the 80 up on a leaking hydraulic lift whilst the local farmer went to work with degreaser and a high powered jet. It's not very modern down here.
20150601_094933.jpg
I then spent hours on the grass looking at what needs repairing or swapping out, with the dog dying to go out for a run and try out the new boot.
20150602_081736.jpg
The rear DS wheel arch inside has a tennis ball size hole of crumbling rust, the rest is most superficial. The coils/shocks look weathered and beaten.
Before:
20150601_095023.jpg

After
20150601_103737.jpg

Bits for the engine can 'supposedly' be found here by scavenging from Portuguese Dyna 3500 kg trucks...will see. The inside of the 80 is spotless.
I plan to hit Morocco, Namibia, Botswana and Eastern Europe over the coming years, so if I see any trips in the near future I may politely join in.:icon-rolleyes:
Other that that if there are any forum members in southern Iberia (Lisbon/Algarve/Huelva/Sevilla etc) then PM me..there are some great 4x4 tracks around here and plenty of ice cold beers. I might also be ordering some stuff from xyz if anybody wants to join up on consignments (bullbar/arch flares/suspension etc).
Over & Out.

Great start - welcome and hope you manage to make some good progress on your 80

Welcome looks like you have a plan and a good vehicle to travel with, Iberia looks like an interesting place :)

Welcome to the forum! Good looking HDJ 80 there, and I think a tennis ball sized hole is good going on any 19 year old vehicle.

My HZJ 80 had the customary rust in the bodywork just behind the rear wheels, which I've had repaired.

You seem to have OME springs judging by the yellow paint. It seems to sit nicely on the ramp, so they may not be so tired. I've had OME springs and shocks on for 8 years with no appreciable staging.

Enjoy, I just love 80s. :thumbup:

Back