Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cambelt change cam moved !!

cbv8

Country Flag
england
Hi All,
Sorry if i keep coming out with stupid questions but i would rather be safe than sorry and i respect any help from all you knowledgeables on here right i have today lined up the timing marks to TDC and removed the cambelt whilst awaiting the new one to arrive in a while. The problem is which i think i know is my mistake is after i removed the cambelt the cam jumped back a bit now when i try to line it up again with its timing mark it just jumps back i presume this is because i turned the engine anti clockwise to line the marks up rather than clockwise :oops: Will it be ok to put new cambelt onto crank pulley then turn the cam pulley to its mark then attached the belt and as long as all lined up refit everything i have only moved the cam a little either way to try and get it to the mark so i dont think i will have damaged anything any advice very much appreciated :bow-yellow:

The camshaft will be under tension (rotational force) from the valve springs at various timing points which may cause it to advance or retard slightly when the belt is removed. As long as you re-align the timing marks to as they were before you should be OK.

Thanks Towpack all sorted now i levered the cam onto its mark then put the belt on the hardest job of all today was trying to get the Alt/AC belts on it's as though the ones i ordered were too short ??

I
Thanks Towpack all sorted now i levered the cam onto its mark then put the belt on the hardest job of all today was trying to get the Alt/AC belts on it's as though the ones i ordered were too short ??

Have you compared them with the old ones for length, Chas? You certainly don't want them too tight in operation.

Yikes this is another of Toyota's mysteries , i don't have climate control so bought the belt from R/T for trucks that don't . It didn't fit but the "with climate control" belt did .

Roughtrax spoke to Toyota and called me back still non the wiser .

A month later someone came on the forum with the same problem (purchased from Milner's) and applied the same solution .

There's about 5 inch difference between the belts and the tensioner can move about that much .

They were the same size as the ones i removed Mitsubishi/Toyota 90916 ???? obviousley the ones i took off were wrong aswell :icon-eek:

20170509_200846.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It seems unlikely both old and new are wrong and as i said why some need the longer belt despite not having climate control and others don't remains a mystery .

Trust your instinct .

Is there a sticker on your air box showing 4 different belt/pulley set ups on your truck . Typically i noticed this on mine after all was said and done :icon-rolleyes: if i remember correctly one of the pics had an extra pulley as did my truck .

Last edited:
Hi Shayne to get the new belts on i slackened the both adjusters to their limit and i still had to prize the belts on with a lever which i did not want to do i cut the old ones off and i can tell you they were all the same length no stickers on the air box or anywhere :sad-roulette:

Belts can stretch and wear in over time. As long as they were not too tight I'd say you should be ok.

Changed the fan belt on my 60 with a tight one. Has to remove the alternator brackets to get it to fit then reinstalked the alternator. All was ok till the alternator stopped charging!
Once rebuilt all ok. But did the tight belt cause it? Be carefull its not too tight. Cheers ben

Changed the fan belt on my 60 with a tight one. Has to remove the alternator brackets to get it to fit then reinstalked the alternator. All was ok till the alternator stopped charging!
Once rebuilt all ok. But did the tight belt cause it? Be carefull its not too tight. Cheers ben

Usually, the only effect of a too tight belt is premature bearing failure, but often that's a replacement unit.

However, if the belt runs several components, water pump, ac compressor and the like, they will all likely suffer the same fate, not just the alternator.

All belts stretch thats why we have a tensioner , worn belts shout at us when they want changing , too tight a belt will snap before it shouts i reckon .

Yes but having to lever the belt over the pulleys surely this can't be right ??

On my first attempt with the wrong belt it was a pita of a job , i ended up removing a pulley and tying off the tensioner while fighting to fit the belt . This can't be right me thinks so i undid all my effort and took the belt off again to measure it against the old . The older one was longer . R/T were confused and didn't want to sell me the "with" climate control belt but it sounded right to me so i took a chance .

It was still a bit fiddly but with a spanner on the tensioner tied off to make room it was on in about 20 minutes .

It's the only belt i have ever changed on this truck .

Count the pulleys mine is type 3 with 8 but two large ones in front of the alternator pretty much tells you at a glance . See sticker above .

When my A/C belt broke the replacements from the local motor factors were too short even though they were the correct length according to the local Toyota parts dept. I returned them and got the next size up which fitted fine. It seems a common problem that the recommended belts don't fit all the cars

Back