Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camp bed - what to get?

Andrew Prince

I've been looking out for a camp(ing) bed for the last few months and there seem to be lots of options but not that many quality ones. So I'm looking for recommendations rather than resorting to trial & error!

As some of you know, I'm a rather long individual at around 2m tall so a 1.8-1.9m camp bed isn't going to be that comfortable... The other thing is I want one that's sturdy too, as I see some have weight limits (of ~100kg :oops: ) so I don't fancy waking up trapped in a collapsed bed!
I know Chris is a fan of camp beds and he's a husky lad, so Chris, any recommendations on camp beds? :p

This seems to be the leading candidate so far:
http://www.coleman.eu/UK/p-23599-trailhead-mesh-camp-bed.aspx

Cheers,

If you go to Go Outdoors they have them all out so you can try.

I'm probably going for the large Oztent bed if BOAB ever pick up the phone :evil:

Ok, thanks for that, Paul - looked up the Oztent and now we're talking! :thumbup: Unfortunately there are no Go Outdoors in my neck of the woods and their online store doesn't yield anything too promising.

The King Goanna sounds like it's just the ticket! 210 cm and weight limit of 150 kgs - that allows for a bit of future growth too :lol:

Now to find someone who has one in stock :roll:

Any other recommendations in the mean time?

Oztent stuff is also available through these guys: http://www.norwichcamping.co.uk/catalog ... /?q=Oztent but the King goanna is currently out of stock :roll:

It maybe worth finding out how easy these are to set up and put down again, as I have seen some people struggling and making a bit of a meal of it. That's my only concern really, as if it's fiddily then it'll annoy the hell out of you every morning, other than that they look good to me.

Real world, in the field, feedback needed!

Well actually yes. Is husky SA for pies?

I have one of those wire legged, stretcher fabric types from Higear. What you cry, sure not. They'll never take that weight. But they do and they are very comfy and around a tenner!!

Greatly impressed.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a King Goanna and it's pretty easy to put up, just unfold it and stick the end bars on. You have to put a bit of effort into the bars because they tension the fabric but nothing very taxing. It's comfy and made from strong stuff but quite heavy as a result.

Back