Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Camper!

Julian T

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
This came up in my FB feed, all I can say is oh my word, don't think I would want to find out how it handles and certainly don't want to know what it's fuel consumption is, what is it you ask?

Clicky here.

I'm not sure how I feel about this......

It's a beautiful bit of work, it looks very professionally done, but really, IMO, it's a real mess in a practical sense.

They'd have been better off starting with a 4x4 VW van or a Mercedes. Loads of space to work with on those, and you get reliability and the 4x4 benefits.

All they've done with this 80 is killed everything the 80 has going for it. It's Offroad ability will be almost zero, it must be hugely arse heavy, and how it must perform on the highway, well I dread to think.

Shame, I say, waste of an awful lot of money I'd imagine, and a good 80. The money would have been better spent on something else IMO.

Now, if you want to start with an 80, this is something very different and much more user friendly IMO...

IMG_6576.JPG

Last edited:
I am of the same opinion Clive all they have done is ruin the 80, it looks like a lot of work has gone into that conversion and one thing I noticed is that there is no provision for a spare wheel,

A 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter would make a good base vehicle sadly I am a closet Mercedes commercial vehicle fan as I did my apprenticeship on the L and V series trucks.

I found myself searching various websites the other day and found a pair of trucks that one of them could probably be made into a perfect over lander camper, I know these very well and they have exceedingly basic wiring, the only solenoid is on the starter motor, the only relays are for the lights.
Fantastic (agricultural) and easy to maintain but getting rare I suspect.

I am of the same opinion Clive all they have done is ruin the 80, it looks like a lot of work has gone into that conversion and one thing I noticed is that there is no provision for a spare wheel,

A 4x4 Mercedes Sprinter would make a good base vehicle sadly I am a closet Mercedes commercial vehicle fan as I did my apprenticeship on the L and V series trucks.

I found myself searching various websites the other day and found a pair of trucks that one of them could probably be made into a perfect over lander camper, I know these very well and they have exceedingly basic wiring, the only solenoid is on the starter motor, the only relays are for the lights.
Fantastic (agricultural) and easy to maintain but getting rare I suspect.

Oh, nice one, now you're talking! One of those would make a great base truck...

IMG_6577.JPG

Not sure of mpg but it's got everything else going for it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Pinzgauer , i couldn't remember how to spell it :icon-redface: the one i posted is rubbish compared to others of the same name .

Pinzgauer , i couldn't remember how to spell it :icon-redface: the one i posted is rubbish compared to others of the same name .

They are excellent but if I wanted to build a 4x4 camper truck they are far too small :)

IMG_1324.JPG

Had a couple of days with these guys on the way home, absolute monsters but had limitations in routes due to the size

A couple more L series
nice 911 l&b camper.jpg
Screen shot 2016-04-10 at 22.27.32.png
:

They still come up on mobil.de sometimes, quite often ex fire tenders, but prices are going up.

Last edited:
@flint
We just sold our last mercedes L series fire truck with 60k kms on the clock.
An absolute beast to drive. Double clutching, a lot of noise and very slow. A truck for 'real men' compared to the new volvo's we have now. But always fun to drive!
A bit harsh for traveling imho. The noise really wears you out.

I went to look at one with the double cab that was for sale near Cardiff a few years ago. The engine was still ok and it drove, but serious renovations were needed. As you say, a mans truck (preferably a deaf one), tough as old boots, but from a bygone age with brakes and steering to match. If the premium bond that I’ve had for about 50 years ever comes up, one of these would do me:
page5-1007-full-2.jpg

I quite understand why people would say the larger trucks are harder to take off road or into difficult to reach places due to their size, however when I remember where I have seen larger trucks go and have taken them myself then I sometime think that the drivers of the large truck campers are reluctant to try taking them places simply because they are worried about what could potentially go wrong, and yes I know sometimes the gap between the rocks is not wide enough, having taken a unimog somewhere a land rover driver would not take his landy ;)

All the 1113 trucks I worked on or drove in SA had syncromesh gear box's, all the 2624 trucks were crash box's and the only thing that let them down mostly was the locally produced ADE engines a lot of them were fitted with, but if you spent a little more Rand then you could buy one with a MB engine and they were all really good trucks for a harsh environment.

For myself a large truck camper is a mobile house whereas my 80 is temporary accommodation :)

This came up in my FB feed, all I can say is oh my word, don't think I would want to find out how it handles and certainly don't want to know what it's fuel consumption is, what is it you ask?

Clicky here.

Looks like they are trying to make a squished down version of the Earthroamer

Its all a compromise i reckon , non of them does everything well . That for me is the appeal of a trailer , you can leave it at home and take the family out shopping and if things get tight off road you can unhook it and recover it (as long as its not a full blown 5 star hotel on wheels) . But it's still a compromise .

Nice f8nd shayne

Shame they have a top speed of 80kph.
Look like a cross between a 101 and a 404 mog.

Back