Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

camping trailer design / build

I hear that the Military are interested already Jon as a platform for their new weapons system!

Bends are looking good, but be honest, did that all measure up exactly or did you bend it and then cut it to size :whistle:

When I make my rear bumper I could do with some small versions of those as a sort of kicker to prevent rear quarter damage.

Going to look good I'm sure, as always. But again, be really nice to be able to work in aluminium.

Chris

The first two needed tweaking before I got it right - First one I allowed for too much spring back and the second one not quite enough :roll: so even with the degree indicator there's an element of judgement involved. They all have to be trimmed to length once bent :)

I'll use aluminium sheet in places but for the structure even if I could have used aluminium it'd have to be so thick to meet my 'I don't think that will bend' assessment that it wouldn't save a lot in weight and would cost at least double :D

Ahh well there is that Jon, fair point.

Bends do look good. One of the key things with trailers is getting the draw bar length right. I have two trailers (well doesn't everyone?) and one I can reverse round in a circle and the other has to be uncoupled and moved by hand. It is IMPOSSIBLE to reverse. Even in a straight line. The DB is so short that it just doesn't respond.

Not going to double as one of those sandwich 'n snax vans is it? I can see you touring the trading estates at lunchtime selling wraps to fund future projects :lol:

Chris

The draw bar length should be ok, I thought about the length rather than picking one at random but the proof will be known when I use it :) I'd have thought it's the length from the coupling to the wheel centres that dictate how well it manouveres though rather than just draw bar length? I've towed lots of caravans but I'm a novice with little trailers :)

Jon, I'm sure that this is something to do with it yes, but I have two trailers and move them with the same vehicle One will and one won't. With all the vehicles I have had, the little one has never reversed. The only constant is the draw bar which (in part) dictates the distance that you describe. I think there must a be a minimum length for it to work. This must also involve the distance from the trailer wheels to the tow point. Not just the ball to the body of the trailer, naturally.

Chris

Gordon Bennett, Jon! Is there nothing you can't make in that workshop of yours? The trailer is looking good and I think it's a good idea keeping it " in the family" with your custom LC100. It'll be the biz when it's finished!

JC

The Dark Dude

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
And people have said i over engineer :lol: :lol:

I Think you should be able to plate that at 3500kg :D

Looking good :thumbup:

No point making it out of tin foil and worrying it will bend if a tree attacks it :lol:

Glued the other side on, did add a front rail after this pic but then it rained and I covered it all up. Wheel arches are next and then I'm getting close to being road legal with the brakes connected and a trailer board on the back.

IMAG0288.jpg

How heavy is your Sankey Gav? I can still pull this trailer up our drive by hand without a jockey wheel so it can't be all that heavy yet :)

Pound for pound, I reckon you're hitting in the lightweights Jon :lol: :lol:

Just been out (in the rain!!!) to see what the VIN plate says - the only thing it says is that its ¾T... I've always assumed thats a load bearing figure but it might be an all up loaded weight :?

Its a doddle to trundle around on our bowling green drive but [strike:2igja6mq]I honestly don't think I could[/strike:2igja6mq] I know I couldn't manhandle it solo around your himalayan driveway...

Hey, shall I fetch it down do we see?? :lol:

Chris said:
When I make my rear bumper I could do with some small versions of those as a sort of kicker to prevent rear quarter damage.
Ask away when you're ready.

Gav Peter said:
Just been out (in the rain!!!) to see what the VIN plate says

Ryan Thomson said:
Hmmm... Be careful what you offer, I'll be over there before you know it :mrgreen:
The 2" tube is quite hard work, you can have as many of those as you can pull :) The 1.5" is childs play.

Trying to decide between this style mud guard which I'd have to bend a bit of chequer plate over and will need more fiddly bits to support it

IMAG0290.jpg

and this which would just need a flat bit of chequer plate on top to form the mud guard and leave the sides open

IMAG0292.jpg

I think the first one will look better but will defo be more involved in building it... Tough one!!!

I think the first one, but I may not have time to sort out some bent chequer plate before I need to use it so I'd just put a rectangle on top to be going on with.

Hi Jon,
Definatly the first wheel arch style.
I like your trailer, it's looking better every time you do work to it.

Graham

Thanks for the input guys, option 2 only really got considered through laziness :)

The other option which I quite like would be to use folds in the plate at flatter angles - bit like the US military trailers...

Will try & find a pic...

Back