Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can anyone help with the removal of the standard radio unit

G

Hi there - trying to remove the old radio unit single din unit from the double din opening (has blanking plate in the boottom half)
Does anyone have instructions or knowledge of how to do this?
Also some little toe rag has ripped my electric ariel off my car and i need to replace it. How do you gain access? is it through the wheel arch liner?
Help cheers
Phil
[Email address removed]

Hi Phil
You dont say what type of cruiser it is you have.
But if its an 80 as far as I can remember you need to take off the plastic panel that runs around the radio across to the drivers wheel.
Its easy, there are only a couple of screws holding it in.
Then I think you can access the screws for the radio because I think the ash tray has something to do with it. As I say its been a while but hope this helps.
cheers
john 92HDJ 80 1HDT

Phil,
This is different on cruisers from 95 on, if yours is post 95 you
have to take out the screws in the panel surrounding the radio, I
think one is behind the ashtray. You can ease the panel forward to
dissconnect and take out the radio. Remember that the panel has other
bits connected, such as the heating controls, take care not to
disslodge the tube running from the temperature sensor vent on the
front panel.
Regards, Clive.

Phil

You might be able to slip a thin-bladed spatula (or similar) down the sides of the radio to press in the flanges and withdraw it that way. Failing that, if yours has the rectangular matrix of climate control buttons take out the ash-tray and undo the two screws in there to release the bottom half of the panel. I can't remember how I got the rest of the panel out (to fit the manual centre diff-lock switch) but I remember that it was very obvious, took about 5 minutes and definitely exposed the back of the radio.

If it is just the shaft of the aerial that is broken you can buy a new one from Mr. Toyota for around =A320. This is 100x easier than trying to replace the whole aerial unit, which requires orthopaedic surgery to add an extra joint to your arm in order to get in under the wing. To get the old shaft out:

- tape copiously with masking or insulating tape around the mount on top of the wing to stop any slips scratching the paint
- using a large pair of pliers or a mole wrench pad the jaws with something (eg cloth, cardboard) to avoid scratching the chrome nut
- grip/clamp and unscrew the large diameter chrome nut at the base of the aerial on top of the wing.
- the existing shaft should then pull out and you should be able to attach the new one via the screw at the bottom.

Hope this helps

Christopher Bell
Devon, UK
1996 1HD-FT

Hi there - trying to remove the old radio unit single din unit from the double din opening (has blanking plate in the boottom half)

Does anyone have instructions or knowledge of how to do this?

Also some little toe rag has ripped my electric ariel off my car and i need to replace it. How do you gain access? is it through the wheel arch liner?

Help cheers

Phil

Back