Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can I legally mount a rear 10L jerry can (petrol) on my 70?

Rusty Bottoms

Country Flag
scotland
Hi all,

Wanting to occasionally mount a 10l (or even just 5l) jerry can with petrol on the back of my 4.0l LJ70 as I work/travel in remote places here in Scotland frequently. Is this legal? I can't find any info online, other than 10l is the max for petrol in the boot of a car. No mention on outside rear mounting with a proper metal bracket using an approved container. I believe side or front is illegal, anyway wouldn't even consider that.

Any info appreciated.

My understanding is that petrol containers can not be mounted to exterior of vehicle as petrol is extremely flammable and containers are susceptible to damage in the event of an accident, hence the limitation to quantity permitted to carry in a separate container internally, these restrictions do not apply to diesel as it is less likely to combust spontaneously in the event of a damage occurring to the container.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's what I figured with petrol. I heard exterior diesel was ok. My fuel gauge plays up in my LJ70, sometimes full is 2/3rd tank on the gauge, and I've driven it right to the bottom with no problems (5l petrol stored in rear). If I trusted my gauge more, I wouldn't bother with a jerry can at all, though my trusty coleman winter camp stove is petrol. I have a variable resistor inline with the gauge, if I pull the cluster I can dial the fuel gauge reading up and down, so need to run it dry or top it up again and reset it. Thanks again!

My fuel gauge plays up in my LJ70, sometimes full is 2/3rd tank on the gauge, and I've driven it right to the [/QUOTE]

I had problems with mine, but were triggered by the voltage regulator hidden in the lower fuel/temperature gauge.
I had temperature spikes(scary for a 2lt engine owner), cleaned the contact points with fine sand paper and then it was showing less on either fuel, temperature or oil pressure….

You can install a voltage regulator there to bypass the mechanical one, must be 7.smth volts to work.
I found an unused fuel gauge one on ebay and now all work ok.

Thanks Alexy, I suspect there is some issue with the old instrument cluster. I'll pull it out soon and have a look. Will be nice to have a reliable gauge! Cheers, R

We have loads of old WW2 vehicles and most if not all have external 20l jerry cans ....the jeeps have it rear mounted .....never had an issue and at less than 2mpg we need all the fuel we can carry in the Half track .

We did an event in Dorset and the local small village garage owner probably sold more fuel in a weekend than he normally did in 6 months , we couldn't get the Sherman's on his forecourt so had to resort to filling 20l Jerry cans.....we had 200 litres in the back of a Willys jeep ! ......you begin to appreciate the logistical nightmare they must have had post D Day just getting enough fuel to everything when the GMC's delivering it were only doing 12MPG themselves .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah that's very interesting. Nothing like practical knowledge. They say an army marches on its stomach, guess you can add fuel to that as well! That is a LOT of fuel actually.

Ah that's very interesting. Nothing like practical knowledge. They say an army marches on its stomach, guess you can add fuel to that as well! That is a LOT of fuel actually.
Not really the right place but if your interested........

Love it! I've always wanted a ZIL131 or similar 6x6, ex-military. It will never happen, but that'd be one for Adrian Flux insurance ;)

Great pair of videos there RB & Grimbo, we've got these in the city for recovering trams, busses and trolley busses.

IMG_4085.JPG

IMG_4086.JPG

IMG_4087.JPG

I just love 'em, they're monsters!

Back