Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can someone tell me where this wire goes?

69FJ-KY

Country Flag
united_states
Hi Guys, I am 100% new to FJ ownership. Bought a decent condition '69 which appears to have an '80 engine in it. I'm not a purist, just love the car so I am happy with it.

Drove it the other day and when I stopped all sort of antifreeze leaked out... I was told by previous owner that if you use the heat and there is too much in there the pressure may spit some out- watch the temp and should be ok.

But when I opened the hood to poke around aimlessly (because I don't know what I am doing of course) I did find this wire hanging free- which appears to me to maybe go to the battery, but didn't want to assume. Figured I would ask the experts here first!

IMG_6073.jpg

Hi 69FJ-KY, and welcome. I am not familiar with your truck, but what you have been told sounds odd.
Yes coolant expands as it gets hot, it should then go into the expansion tank, and when the engine cools, it gets sucked back. Are you saying it is overflowing from the tank that is filled up, or was the tank full to start with, so there is no room for expansion and the excess is forced out. There should be a level mark on your expansion tank. If it is full, empty some out to the mark, then run it stationary and watch it. If it fills again, there could be other issues.
Do you know where the coolant coming from ?
The lead... A black lead with a lug on would indicate to me an earth. Where does the other end go?
If that lead goes to the chassis, it could be a redundant earth for a winch, as it looks quite long. Is there one, or was there one fitted, do you know?
A little bit more info could help us.

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the follow up. I will do some research and get some pictures and repost tonight. Thank you for the initial help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome good looking cruiser you but we have to have lots of pics

Alright, I feel a bit dumb here on the wire... but after following it, it led right to the winch on the front! So clearly that's just a winch power cord for when I need to use that (aka not really ever lol). So case closed on that one- much appreciated.

However, this was not all pointless because the radiator question is still open with new images. It appears to be close to full (I did not put any more antifreeze in it) and the tube that comes out of the side of the cap just sprays down a side channel and out to the ground. So I am pretty sure it just got highly pressurized and sprayed out that hose and that is what I saw. The only question is- I saw the well discussion and this is just a tube that sprays onto the ground... not sure this is how it is supposed to be.

And adding a picture of my FJ just for reference since someone asked!

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6100.jpg

And my FJ in the barn:

IMG_6101.jpg

Dont feel dumb mate, weve all been there, and all knowledge helps.
Very nice looking ride. As said, not familiar with your motor, but if it doesn't have an expansion bottle, then coolant will come out of your overflow pipe as the engine gets hot, but it shouldn't keep coming all the time, or you will run short on coolant, possibly with disastrous results. If it should have an expansion tank, that situation wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, as said, coolant will flow into, then get sucked back as cooling.
Either there should be an expansion tank, and that hopefully would solve it, or you possibly have a head gasket problem that is pressurising the cooling system and forcing it out, which is no good at all. But don't panic yet !
How does the temp gauge run. ? Does it continually spray/pump out ? Have a sniff of your coolant, can you smell exhaust fumes ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had the FJ for about 3 months and never seen a leak. This time the only difference was that it was cold out and I pulled the heat lever. I do watch the gauges (especially when I saw the puddle) and they show within normal range.

So I am thinking this thing just doesn't have an expansion bottle and is spewing out antifreeze if it gets too pressurized- which I am ok with from a vehicle standpoint- but am absolutely not ok with from an environmental standpoint. So I'll be doing some research on those expansion bottles UNLESS you think it's a bigger issue. Thank you!

I had exactly the same problem.

First check that the valve on the bulkhead is working - follow the heater hoses - as they tend to 'freeze' - wd40 or similar will free it.
Re the expansion tank - I made one from a hiking plastic water bottle in a holder - mount the holder lower than the top of the rad, then drill a hole in the bottle top to take the hose from the radiator outlet and another smaller hole to let the air out/in. fill the rad to the top and half fill the plastic bottle with antifreeze.

Do this and no more leaking AF onto the road....

Re-assurance for you: my old 2H diesel has had no problems but no longer drips AF. So from your info it is unlikely to have caused any problems within your engine.

Regards,
Rodger

I have given this some more thought, and like Rodger, was thinking about the heating system, rather than extreme head gasket pressurising. Your coolant, although not Toyota red, looks fresh and clean.
I found it odd initially that putting on heat would cause a leak, but, if the bulkhead valve, which in effect is a by pass, is opening, only partially, or there is a restriction in the heater hoses/heater matrix, that may prevent complete coolant circulation, causing it to 'back up'. This in itself wouldnt cause any rise in temp gauge, because coolant as a whole is still circulating around the engine. That small 'back up', where coolant cannot fully circulate around the heating system, may be causing your 'leak' from the overflow pipe.
Do as Rodger says, and check that valve first, and that the cable is operating freely. You should be able to operate from the valve/cable end, so you can see what is happening. Good luck!

Another thought what is the radiator pressure cap rated at a member might be able to recommend the right one for you and is the rubber seal in good condition and seating properly

As Steve says a new rad cap of the correct poundage wont go amiss.

I should also have said in my previous post to angle cut the bottom of the pipe which must go to the bottom of the new header tank/bottle.

Did the heater work?

Because the heater inlet is high up on the bulkhead they sometimes get an airlock. Once you know the bulkhead valve is open, drive the truck up onto a pair of ramps - front end is then higher than the valve - [ don't use cold water into a hot engine] and bleed the coolant system with the engine running and warm (so that the thermostat is open) - squish -not squash- the bottom hose -engine to rad - and give the airlock a chance to work through.

Hope that helps

Regards

Rodger

Really appreciate all the feedback guys. Thank you. Will try to work on it over the holiday- but yes it sounds like we found the culprit with the heater and radiator. And of course the wire to the winch lol.

Back