Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Can we get a reasonable reliable Landcruiser for 3000£ For on road driving

Raj

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
A friend of mine has a Lexus RX450h, he is planning to sell it and buy another SUV for 3000£. his choice was RX400h but I was wondering if we can get a decent Landcruiser for that price without any classical rust issues. He ll use this car softly like a family car. Due to his height he wanted SUV

I think he'll struggle to get one that cheap that isn't rusted to death. Prices are strong right now.
Why is he selling the Lexus?

Most unlikely.
Not sure where to point him for an alternative, possibly one of the Korean makers, Hyundai Terracan or Kia Sorento if he wants a full size traditional separate chassis vehicle with a high low range gearbox, if slightly smaller required then Mitsubishi Outlander or any of the many alternatives in Rav 4 size, but before buying remember to check the VED situation if regd before March 23 2006, like Landcruisers many vehicles you wouldn't expect go into the highest band.

If he's looking at 400h make sure someone checks it out underneath, they are as prone to underbody rust as Cruisers, the typical first owners would be even less inclined than LC owners when it comes to underbody washing/treatment.

Yes Rich you are right about RX owners ignorance on rust. I have RX for many years and I didn’t knew we have to check cars for rust until I got Landcruiser. Rust is like a new thing for me. I changed a radiator on my RX400 as I was asked to in one of the services but didn’t have a clue that it was corroded n due to rust. Hyundai’s n Mitsubishi’s r good choice in that price point. Thank you. He doesn’t even need a 4x4 due to height he just need a tall car like a SUV

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Whats wrong with the current RX450h?
Nothing wrong with the car, it’s a low mileage one but selling it to use extra cash from it for other purpose.
In the past owned a 5 series but it was a money pit so scared to own a German car at this price so Toyota n Honda are left to rescue :) . As Dave said, a saloon looks like good alternative, may be a Avensis

With that budget I would chase down a plush Lexus LS saloon.

:cool: ya Jacob LS or GS was in my list as well after Accord retires but they are as expensive as Landcruisers n hard to find in 3000

I often see 400s/430s in that price range that don't look too shabby. Usual caveats apply.

Last edited:
There was a RX for sale under 3K with 219K miles but not sure if Landcruiser will last that big miles in UK so ruled out Lexus with that mileage. I feel Landcruiser is the King and rest all are below it

Toyota/Lexus can be nicely run in at 200k , or knackered at 100k, it all depends on how they've been treated maintained and driven.

Prius hybrid taxis are regularly clocking up fantastic mileages with very litte going wrong, Toyota's hybrid drive is well recognised as the benchmark.

Back