Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

CapeTown2Calcutta - 2015

GingerMermaid

It's been a loooooong time coming, but after five years of talking about it, two years of researching it and about a year of actual planning it, I've finally managed to find the "right" Land Cruiser and feel like I might actually be close to setting off on this epic adventure of mine: CapeTown2Calcutta - a 15,000km solo adventure (with guests) across two continents exploring and documenting women's economic development.

A bit of an ambitious endeavour I know, particularly given that I've never done a journey like this, have no background in gender and development, no experience making documentaries and have never owned a car before, let alone had to maintained one without roadside assistance on standby! But that's all part of the adventure. :)

Once the mighty Green Machine is prepped and ready (you can see how that's progressing on my rebuild thread), the plan is to ship her from the UK to Cape Town. From there I will work my way up through Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, (with a little Zimbabwe chucked in for good measure), Malawi, Tanzania, Uganda and Kenya, not necessarily that specific order, to Mombasa where I hope to ship the TLC over to Mumbai to follow in the footsteps of my great-great aunt (one of the first women to drive around the world) crossing India to Calcutta, in West Bengal. From there....who knows.

Wow, sounds pretty epic. All the best with it and as always, watching with interest.
When does the adventure begin?

Incredible GM, you're a brave one.

Brave to take on the 80 build project in the first place, and brave to even consider such a solo overland.

If I wore one, I'd take my hat off to you, best of luck with completing the build and long may that continue with you on the trip.

Of course, these few posts must only be the beginning of a very long and interesting thread. Bravo :clap: :clap: :clap:

Does anyone know what became of this 'venture? The blog/twitter/instagram feeds aeem to have dried up in Africa late Nov 2015, did she make it over and out?

Back