Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Car Insurance Brinkmanship ?

frank rabbets

Guru
The M+S insurance renewal for my 80 came through on 1 Mch at £290. I phoned M+S on 14 Mch to negotiate a bit and same insurer (sabre) quoted £256 which I accepted but no papers came through. I phoned to check on 26 Mch and before I could explain why I was phoning M+S said sabre were now offering £243 as I was still thinking about it!! I explained exact reason for calling but accepted £243 and papers are now defo coming. Does this mean that we should wait until the last minute to get quotes ?

Incidentally not too bad a figure as 2 drivers are covered for European Breakdown cover and fully comprehensive cover for 90 days. This means I could be driving round Europe for 90 days with breakdown cover in a 22 year old car just about to go bang.

They will always move under pressure. With 3 weeks to go I told AF I wasn't paying more than £250 this year for the Suburban when they quoted £320, 1 week to go £280 was their best best offer, one day to go as a "special" thay would do it for £250. Its amazing the influence the "FJ" letters have as a lever.

Ah...........I wonder if it was M+S who charged me less and Sabre was constant ? M+S gave me the impression that Sabre had come down.

lol you boys have it easy - In France you need to give 3m notice to change your insurance company! The renewal doesnt come out until a week or so before the end of the contract! If you dont tell them 3 m in advance, you are liable for another 12m insurance with them! (apparently according to the wife, if you keep the envelope that the renewal came in you can prove they didnt give you enough notice and can change without penalty...) Cancelling a policy needs to be done with recorded delivery post too, other wise they never got it..........having said all that, its still cheaper, included breakdown, glass, recovery, all of Europe and Morocco,

again according to she wot knows best, some insurances have now dumped the 3m rule.......but we have yest to test them!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have been in the adac & I don't have a German address! Sam joined about a month ago as he is away on a trip now. On one of my trips my mate has a steering hose split whilst coming home on the Italy French border.
Adac got him home same day via trains & Eurostar & were going to bring the truck back to U.K. But instead they paid for him & me to fly out with parts, repair it & we drove it back.....I guess that was a cheaper option for them!

I Just phone whatever number and ask if they speak English and they do , there's no nonsense they take your name you pay the bill and your covered . I was like hang on what if a local garage can't fix it and the reply was given as if it was the most obvious thing in the world "then we take your car home for you" .

Back