Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Car maintenance app for iPhone

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Does anyone use an app to track Car servicing?

I want to record what has been done and when, ideally with a reminder function to remind me to carry out routine servicing.

Any recommendations - good or bad?

Thanks in advance

I haven’t used one Nick, but after a browse, this one looks to be a bit better than some others in the free range.

From the look of them, most seem to just record what and when you spent your money, not telling you when you should...

Thanks @clivehorridge . I couldn't get the link to work. You're right, most of them are more based around fuel economy and basic recording. There are a few that are more in depth with reminders but they have bad reviews and haven't been updated for a few years. Shame because it would be a really useful tool.

I just try to remember at what mileage I need to perform a oil service as calculated from the mileage at last service.
I try not to record costs, it would just get depressing and I am not an accountant lol.

I use an App called Vehicle Smart, it is very good it lets you check mot history and tax and mileage data, and you can pay £3.99 and set reminders for service items. You can also do checks for vehicle history if you are buying a car, it keeps it all in one place, I use it all the time probably the most useful app on my phone.

I change oil and filter every 5000 miles and also air and fuel filters every 10,000 miles and check and top up and grease everything each time so easy to remember. 180k mile serice due in a couple of weeks so its the full monty again.
Other things i log on a spreadsheet so i can work out frequencies that things need doing but not really necessary just like to do it.
For example, gearbox and transfer box rebuild after 28 years so I will be nearly 80 next time. By then altzheimers will probably mean i forgot i had a spreadsheet or even a cruiser!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I go by the odometer - oil and filter change every 10,000km (6,000 miles), which is easy for me to remember as it lands on 140,000km, 150,000km, 160,000km, etc. I grease all the drive train at the same time every time.

I have the coolant system flush, change and service written down for every 5 years. Next up is August 2019, for new coolant, thermostat, hoses, new temp sensor, etc, and I always change diff and T-box fluids at the same time.

Owen

I go by the odometer - oil and filter change every 10,000km (6,000 miles), which is easy for me to remember as it lands on 140,000km, 150,000km, 160,000km, etc. I grease all the drive train at the same time every time.

I have the coolant system flush, change and service written down for every 5 years. Next up is August 2019, for new coolant, thermostat, hoses, new temp sensor, etc, and I always change diff and T-box fluids at the same time.

Owen

Same here Owen, every 10,000 km, oil & filter, air and fuel filters, and an all round prop UJ & slips greasing. Had mine done today, as it happens.

All transmission oils (diffs, transfer and gearbox) every 2 years (appx. every 30,000 km) same as the ITP (MOT) renewal.

I hate adding up the money spent but agree that it’s useful to know when stuff was replaced.

I found out today that 2 out of the 4 anti-roll bar connection joints are shot, but I’m sure the fronts were renewed time ago in my 11 year ownership, but of course no evidence to confirm. :|

Guys been on my list of things to do being to back track and write down the things changed over and when to the types of servicing schedules and keep on top of things.

Only got a japensese manual with the car that’s no good to me and no service book.

If I knew it was gonna be this much from the beginning would of been a fright for sore eyes. :icon-surprised:

Just as Clive mentions adding up the cost is a no no!!

Oh well we live a learn :whistle:

I've had a good look at whats on the market and tested a few duds but found an app called Autosist. Its pretty much what I wanted - it can:

1. Note vehicles details - chassis number/ reg number etc which I never have a note of when I need them
2. Note vehicle maintenance items based on date or odometer including next due service with auto-recurring based on user defined interval
3. Note fuel fills including odometer reading and quantity - providing a auto mpg - useful to know for when your fuel gauge doesn't dork too well, or if your a data geek like my wife
4. A 'Glovebox' to hold photos of documents

Its free for 1 car or a small cost for managing more than one car or for a few additional items which I dont really need.

The useful thing is that as you fill you put in the odometer reading so it knows your latest milage and cross checks this with the service schedule.

Drawbacks are a pretty lame layout which is kinda dated and feels like Haynes should have done it. Its also really slow and I don't know why.

Back