Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Carrying Jerry cans

Red Oktober

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Does anyone know if it's ok to carry a jerry can on the front or rear of a vehicle ....

i want to put one of these http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/produc ... ry_can.php on the smaller of the two rear doors
then mount the reg plate to the cage ....

Lj78-4.jpg

I'm not saying that this is the definitive answer, but when I had one on the back of Lil Blue, I was told that you couldn't - because of the chance of rupture in a rear end collision. But you see lots of Kaymar and ARB rear bumpers with can holders in them.

Chris

I think you will be ok legally, the issue you will have is a said if you were to be involved in a rear end shunt your risk of fire etc is greatly increased, nevermind the enviromental impact ( :whistle: :whistle: ) above all if it were to happen could you live with yourself should someone get hurt just for the sake of carrying some extra fuel

I would say if you were going to do it severley beef your rear bumper up so it take the impact ;)

Diesel wont burn.
You can pour diesel on the floor, and throw lighted matches at it until you are blue in the face.

I can't see it making fire if a car runs into the rear end of your truck, that is unless you put petrol in the gerry can, which I guess you won't be.

Graham

I agree with Graham about the flashpoint of diesel, but pour it on some upholstery and put a match to it!

The point here is that if there was (and I am not saying there is) a law about Jerry cans, it would be difficult to write it say you can have externally mounted cans of diesel but not petrol. They just don't write laws like this.

I have not seen such a law, it's simply what I was told when I asked.

Drop into you local fire station and ask. I bet they say no. But only from THEIR perspective.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
IANAL, but I looked into the law a while back. IIRC, there are very strict regulations around carrying petrol (and, I think, some regulations around diesel) in a commercial vehicle. However, there are no restrictions around carrying containers of either in a private vehicle, in any quantity. No idea whether having it outside makes any difference.

There are, however pretty serious restrictions around _storing_ petrol.

Indeed there are. But the single key question here is about externally mounted fuel cans in a crush / crash / crumple zone. Ziliions of people have put them on the roof before and that's never drawn comment. But on a bumper? I don't think that people like Kaymar would either manufacture them or export them to the UK if there was a body of evidence that said it was generally dangerous. Look at Oz - they have some real anal motor laws there but carry fuel like this.

Could just be one of those urban myths.

Chris

I know there are all sorts of regulations where carrying petrol is concerned ... i'm not interested in carrying petrol.

my cruiser is a diesel ...i am only interested in learning weather it's illegal to carry a jerrycan full in a lockable cage on the outside of my back doors

Google found this http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthrea ... Jerry-Cans
which is the same question, descending into the same answers to a question not asked ie petrol, storage, quantities, at home blah blah. However, no one has come up with a definite 'it's illegal due to law XYZ' to mount a jerry can of derv on your back door. I think if there were a law, we'd have found it by now.

Chris

I am pretty sure there wont be a law, trucks have tanks that totally exposed

Cheers Chris ... and Gary

the 2nd post on that landy link pretty much says all i needed to hear :thumbup:

I carried a can of derv on the back of my suzuki along with a high lift, 31" tyre and diving cylinder (internal)... just get ready to catch if you want to open the back door parked up a hill.

Hi Carl.
I had the same idea and did a bit of research on this and found no law restriction on carrying Jerry cans on the back of a vehicle.
A lot of guys in Australia, Africa, Arabia etc. has them on the back and no problems. Can't find any restriction so far here in the Uk too?
Shall we go ahead and fit them?..... The transplant should be fairly easy I think. (work on it some more and let you know).
Mine is a diesel too and will carry the Jerry around empty most of the time, only for use on long and overland trips basically although the cage on the back door
will become a permanent fixture (holes and so on).

Yep! Going to do it in April! Will place some pic's when done. And of-course let every one know if I get pulled over and warned/fined.
But sure there won't be a problem......????

Have fun on yours!
Arno

The law aside (I live in Africa not UK, there are no rules on this here) what are your thoughts on carrying petrol in jerrycans. I currently have an all stock Landcruiser 100 v8 and am looking for ways to carry a little extra fuel on long journeys in remote areas. Usually my stock 90L tank is just enough but it'd be nice to have some more leeway. For the rare times I need it I cant justify a longrange auxiliary tank and also I don't want to have to put the spare tire on the back as 90% I'm town driving. As I don't currently have a roof rack, the only way would be to carry inside the rear of the vehicle. How dangerous do you think it'd be to carry say a 20L can in the back if it was in a quality can like a Scepter? Would it be safer on a roof rack even though it's going to be in full sun all day? Interested to hear anyone's thoughts, thanks.

I know there are all sorts of regulations where carrying petrol is concerned ... i'm not interested in carrying petrol.

my cruiser is a diesel ...i am only interested in learning weather it's illegal to carry a jerrycan full in a lockable cage on the outside of my back doors

Bit confused here Carl.. your signature says 4500 80 series and you posted this originally

we paid £3700 for ours ... ...ours is a petrol though ... the diesels fetch more

So what you got? Diesel or petrol cruiser?

Occam, the best carry-around jerrycan I've found is simply a 20lt jug of engine oil. They ave an o-ring seal cap that doesn't leak even if turned upside-down, are much more stable standing in the boot than regular metal canisters, and don't rattle with other items because they're plastic. I always have one in the boot.

Bit confused here Carl.. your signature says 4500 80 series and you posted this originally

So what you got? Diesel or petrol cruiser?

bit late i know ....... but i now currently have a petrol 80 series ...... but used to own a diesel Lj78

Back