Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Cashback ads!

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
Getting a little wound up about the above. I swear the people who think this is a good business model think the general public is stupid.

The latest is Carrefour supermarkets (is that spelt right?), Carrefour recently purchased most of the Eroski supermarket brand in Spain including their petrol stations. My 80 is a second car now so I never really look at pump prices and given I can only claim 5% via my business it is simply not worth the paperwork.

So by chance I notice a Carrefour 'tag' on clients key ring, he declared he gets cheaper fuel even if he had not made a purchase from the supermarket. Well I am far from rich so I decided to investigate a little further. Since the takeover, the previous Eroski station price has gone up by around 4 euros, and by showing the tag you get 3 euros off!

Further, to rub salt into the wounds of naivety the client has had to give over his bank details so they can send him a cheque which IIRC is every month but could be as many as three? So he pays over the odds AND waits for the refund!

I pointed this out that the money is better off in his bank (or tank), he too looked around and found that other stations were also cheaper than the Carrefour base price, their clever advertising announces the base price AFTER you have filled up.

So they have his house and mobile number, his address and his bank details, and Spain is already feeling the pressure from cold calls as AFAIK there are no restrictions as there are in the UK.

Carrefour have lost out to his future purchases and of course my own, I assume the bean counters have worked out the amount they gain will outweigh the losses?

regards

Dave

Back